External Communications Coordinator — Albany, NY
Organization: Audubon International
Job Title: External Communications Coordinator
Location: Albany, NY
Hours and Compensation: This is a full-time, permanent position. Audubon International offers a mission-driven work environment that promotes continued employee growth and development. The organization offers its employees a strong compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent health benefits, retirement benefits, and generous vacation. Diversity is highly valued.
Application Deadline: December 21, 2012
Posted On: Nov. 28, 2012
Audubon International is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to delivering high-quality environmental education and using incentive-based approaches to implement sustainable natural resource management in all places people live, work, and play.
Audubon International presently has approximately 12 staff members and is headquartered in the Albany, New York area. It should be noted that the organization is in the process of moving its headquarters from Selkirk to a more centrally located commercial office building in Rensselaer Technology Park (http://www.rpitechpark.com/), and this move will be completed by early January 2013.
The organization, which has been in existence for over 25 years, works with a wide range of interested partners, including golf courses, developers, agriculture producers, small businesses, large corporations, academic institutions, fellow not-for-profits, community associations, local governments, and state and federal agencies. Through education, technical assistance, certification, and recognition, Audubon International facilitates the implementation of natural resource management practices that ensure land, water, wildlife, and other natural resources are sustainably used and conserved. Utilizing a set of award-winning environmental education and certification programs, Audubon International is able to positively impact environmental health at multiple geographic scales, including individual properties, communities, and ecoregions.
Audubon International seeks a highly-qualified and enthusiastic individual to serve as its External Communications Coordinator. The incumbent will report directly to the Director for Finance and Administration and work closely with the Executive Director and other Audubon International staff and Board members to develop, manage, and implement innovative external communications strategies that effectively advance the organization’s programs, stakeholder relations, and overall mission.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, Director of Finance and Administration and other AI staff members, play a leading role in setting short- and long-term communications goals.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and the Director of Finance and Administration play a leading role in developing and implementing communications strategies to achieve communications and membership development goals.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, serve as the organization’s primary POC in regards to communications with the news media (TV, radio, print, online, etc.) and other external audiences.
- Give talks and presentations to audiences of all types (i.e., news media, government, industry, academic, etc.) to deliver information on AI’s programs and activities.
- Assume primary responsibility for posting or otherwise disseminating all official news releases and similar important public announcements.
- Assume primary responsibility for developing/maintaining contact information for members of the media, as well as cultivating strong professional relationships with members of the media.
- Assume primary responsibility for developing/maintaining contact information for key stakeholders in pertinent sectors/industries (i.e., recreation, leisure, government, business, etc.) as well as cultivating strong professional relationships with these stakeholders.
Support of Education/Certification Programs
- Assist the Executive Director and program staff in meeting program growth targets on an annual basis for the organization’s various education and certification programs, including the following (or their future equivalents):
o Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program
o Audubon Signature Program
o Sustainable Communities Program
o Green Lodging Program
o Professional certificate program in sustainable natural resource management
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and Director of Finance and Administration, play a leading role in marketing and promotional efforts for all the above mentioned AI education and certification programs.
- Lead in the organizing, promotion, management, and implementation of special events or summits held periodically and designed to market and sell AI programs and services.
- Coordinate with appropriate AI’s staff to ensure that information maintained in the organization’s web-based member database is up-to-date and accurate.
Website Development and Publications
- Assume primary responsibility for managing all content (i.e., news releases, programmatic information, graphical content, blogs, etc.) that appears on Audubon International’s official website, as well as social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- With appropriate assistance from program staff, assume primary responsibility for developing and disseminating the organization’s formal publications and newsletters.
- Serve as a liaison, as appropriate, between the organization and external contractors periodically retained to perform needed IT software and hardware upgrades.
Administrative and Development
- Assist the Director of Finance and Administration with the recruitment of corporate sponsors to generate financial support for the organization’s operations and capital budgets, as well as increase the organization’s capacity, public visibility, reputation, and professional credibility.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Administration with the identification of major donors, as well as cultivating meaningful professional relationships with these donors.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration to ensure effective planning and delivery of ongoing fundraising, business affiliations, sponsorships, and other efforts.
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study (i.e., environmental studies, mass communications, journalism, etc.) and at least 3 years of related professional experience, OR agraduate degree in an appropriate field of study (i.e., environmental studies, mass communications, journalism, etc.) and at least 1 year of related professional experience.
- Self-starter with creativity and desire to make a positive impact.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and experience working with diverse. constituencies and membership demographics.
- Ability to excel both by working independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong persuasive writing skills.
- Skills and/or experience managing newsletters or other publications.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking.
- Experience and comfort with event planning/administration.
- Familiarity and experience with website development.
- Working knowledge of IT systems (or ability to quickly gain such knowledge)
- Computer proficiency (i.e., Microsoft Office suite, database management, internet-based research, professional applications of social media, etc.)
How to Apply
Submitted applications will be reviewed upon receipt and must include the following:
- Cover letter summarizing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, including a description of how prior educational training, experience and skills prepare the candidate to fulfill the job responsibilities detailed above.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- Contact information (name, job title, phone and email) for 3-5 professional references
- Persuasive writing sample (5 pages maximum) which demonstrates an ability to effectively communicate technical concepts or analysis to a non-technical audiences.
- Application materials should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com with the job title and your name in the subject line (i.e., External Communications Coordinator – Jane Smith).