Campaign Organizer (Climate and Energy) – Washington DC
Job Title: Campaign Organizer – Climate and Energy Campaign Southeast States (Coastal NC, SC, and GA)
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: full time; Oceana, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) with a competitive benefits package offering medical, dental, vision coverage along with a 403 (b) retirement plan, generous leave among others
Application Deadline: none
Position Dates: January 31, 2013; temporary position
Posted On: Dec. 27, 2012
Join the only international nonprofit dedicated solely to protecting and restoring the world’s oceans. Oceana’s campaigns are directed at achieving measurable policy changes to prevent the irreversible collapse of ocean life. Results are achieved through science, law, advocacy, organizing public support, and communications.
Manages campaign in Southeastern, U.S. Coastal NC, SC, and GA to stop expanded offshore oil and gas drilling and to promote action on climate change in local, national, and international forums. Builds public engagement on offshore drilling and renewable energy. With direction from Campaign Manager, works independently to execute a campaign plan and carries out the tasks necessary to meet campaign objectives. Tracks timelines, and reports on progress to Campaign Manager. Manages a varied and high volume workload and requires initiative to work on own to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks. This position will be temporary.
1. Build a broad, effective campaign including, but not limited to, grassroots coalition building, earned and paid media acquisition, legislative advocacy, science, public engagement, repeat volunteerism, and development of a self-sustaining and continuing foundation of support.
2. Execute the campaign in conjunction with a team of professionals. This will include working with other field staff, on-line activists, legislative and communications professionals, vendors, consultants and others.
3. Regularly report on progress of the campaign, and lead the charge for overcoming obstacles to ensure goals and objectives are met.
4. Perform additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
1. At least 2 years of campaign experience, with at least one in a management position. This should include experience engaging volunteers and building a foundation of support for a policy outcome.
2. Demonstrated success building, and cultivating new relationships in a way that persuades individuals to support the organization’s agenda and generates measurable results.
3. A proven track record in grassroots field organizing and public speaking.
4. Experience in coordinating media relations.
5. A track record of being detail oriented, with good organizational skills and follow-through.
6. Demonstrated initiative to self-motivate, to work with diverse communities, serve as a team leader, and achieve Oceana’s goals.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to multi-task.
8. Computer literacy, particularly with Microsoft Office applications.
9. An ability to work well with others.
Oceana, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) with a competitive benefits package offering medical, dental, vision coverage along with a 403 (b) retirement plan, generous leave among others
How to Apply
Please go to http:www.oceana.org and select “About Us” and select “job opportunitties where you will be asked to insert your cover letter and resume for this position