Intern, Strategic Engagement Team, Center for Environment and Peace — Arlington, VA
Organization: Conservation International
Job Title: Intern, Strategic Engagement Team, Center for Environment and Peace
Location: Arlington, VA
Hours and Compensation: at least 15 hours/week – no pay specified
Application Deadline: open
Position Dates: flexible
Posted On: Jan. 14, 2013
Through science, policy and field work, we’re applying smart solutions to protect the resources that we all depend on. We help communities, countries and societies protect tropical forests, lush grasslands, rivers, wetlands, abundant lakes and the sea. Only through properly valuing the essential services these ecosystems provide can we create a sustainable development path that will benefit all people for generations to come.
Conservation International (CI) is looking for an intern to work with the Strategic Engagement team, within CI’s Center for Environment and Peace (CEP), which engages governments to help them balance conservation with their respective development goals, economic interests and political realities. This position will support the preparation for upcoming major international meetings with implications for the conservation of natural capital, including UN Convention meetings (UNFCCC and UNCBD) and other relevant meetings so that engagement is logistically effective and achieves organizational goals and outcomes.
This necessitates working across the Institution, with all CI divisions and field programs, to provide logistical and strategic support. Tasks include supporting the CI team through securing participants’ accommodation, meeting facilities, catering and other event-specific requirements, as well as coordinating planning meetings and preparatory internal communications. In addition, this position will provide support in the evaluation of CI’s past engagement to best inform future engagement.
- Support development of background documents for upcoming meetings (UNCBD, UNFCCC, others)
- Provide limited logistics support in preparation for CI engagement in upcoming meetings
- Read relevant reports, attend brownbags/presentations/webinars and provide summaries
- Assist in analysis of past and future meetings/fora with policy implications/relevance for CI’s thematic securities (climate, water, food, species)
- Support CCG staff in developing outreach materials describing CI’s policy efforts
- Assist in maintaining calendar of strategic events with policy implications/relevance for CI’s thematic securities
- Familiarity with concepts of sustainable development and biodiversity conservation
- Fluency in written and spoken English required with strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to effectively track and coordinate multiple projects
- Personal interest in international conservation and development
- Willingness to take initiative, and the ability to work effectively as a member of a team
How to Apply
Apply from the organization’s website: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH08/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CONSERVATION&cws=1&rid=393