Planning/Policy Internship — Oakland, CA
Organization: ChangeLab Solutions
Job Title: Planning/Policy Internship
Location: Oakland, CA
Hours and Compensation: There may be a limited number of paid summer internships.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2013
Position Dates: Summer 2013
Posted On: Jan. 16, 2013
At ChangeLab Solutions, we believe achieving the common good means everyone has nourishing food; safe places to live and play; plenty of opportunities to bike, walk, or take transit; fresh water; and clean air – indoors and out. Meeting those needs requires good laws and policies that link housing, education, jobs, and the environment to healthy outcomes. It means efficient government working with strong and diverse leadership toward common goals. Many communities lack those fundamental capacities, and we want to change that.
ChangeLab Solutions works with community-based organizations, local public health and planning departments, schools, elected officials, government attorneys, and private counsel to create groundbreaking policy solutions to critical public health challenges. ChangeLab Solutions staff provide comprehensive training, technical assistance, and legal and policy tools to improve public health outcomes and draft policies that reflect the most creative and innovative thinking on a given public health issue. Our unique approach, backed by decades of solid research and proven results, helps the public and private sectors make communities more livable, especially for those who are at highest risk because they have the fewest resources.
The Planning and/or Policy Intern will support our team of urban planners, lawyers, and policy analysts to explore planning and policy solutions to create healthy communities by, among other things, improving the built environment, increasing access to healthy foods and ensuring opportunities for physical activity. ChangeLab Solutions provides interns with an opportunity to work in a fast-paced policy environment on projects that have substantial real world impact. Please visit our website at www.changelabsolutions.org for complete information on ChangeLab Solution’s current activities and staff.
Projects and activities may include any or all of the following:
- Provide research and analysis to strengthen state and local policies to create healthy, sustainable communities.
- Research and writing on a variety of cutting-edge transportation, food systems, and land use policy strategies.
- Collect and synthesize a variety of primary and secondary research sources, including interviews, reports, municipal codes, general plans and zoning codes and other planning/policy documents, and academic literature.
- Conduct key informant interviews with policy practitioners and other experts to inform research and product development
- Craft clear, easy-to-read fact sheets, technical assistance responses, and other written resources for ChangeLab Solutions’ audience.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field with two years of policy research and writing experience. Current graduate students are highly encouraged.
- Familiarity with land use planning processes, including transportation, economic development, climate change, sustainability, food systems, active living, or other chronic disease prevention policies.
- Excellent research, analytic, and writing skills.
- Able to translate complex policies into writing accessible to a layperson audience.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample and a list of references to: firstname.lastname@example.org; please include “Summer 2013 Planning/Policy Intern” in the subject line of the email. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are able to secure academic credit or external funding for your work, or whether you are seeking a paid position. Applications must be received by March 29, 2013.
Open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE