Policy & Lobbying Intern — Washington, D.C.
Organization: League of Conservation Voters
Job Title: Policy & Lobbying Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: This is an unpaid internship. Must be available a minimum of 20 hours per week.
Application Deadline: not specified
Posted On: Jan. 17, 2013
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national priorities. To secure the environmental future of our planet, LCV’s mission is to advocate for sound environmental policies, to elect pro-environmental candidates who will adopt and implement such policies and to provide the state LCVs with the resources and tools to accomplish and sustain their mission.
The Intern will support the Policy & Lobbying team’s efforts to influence members of Congress and the Administration and to educate the public on environmental issues. The League of Conservation Voters internships provide a unique opportunity to participate first hand in federal environmental advocacy, as well as be exposed to a broad cross-section of national environmental groups.
• Conducting outreach to Hill staff on specific bills, issues, and meeting requests;
• Participation in issue-based coalitions;
• Writing blog posts on key developments on national environmental policy;
• Researching bills, emerging environmental issues, and members of Congress’s records;
• Attending committee hearings and issue briefings;
• Delivering materials to Congressional offices;
• Assist in producing the National Environmental Scorecard, the nationally accepted yardstick measuring how members of Congress vote on environmental issues. This includes tracking environmental votes, background research, and data-checking;
• Provide coverage for the receptionist as necessary;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Current college students or recent graduates preferred.
Skills: Good communicator; strong writing, research, and editing skills; experience in word processing and spreadsheets.
Capabilities: Solid judgment; critical thinking skills; self-starter; attentive to detail; a sense of teamwork; ability to handle multiple tasks; good sense of humor a plus.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter including available start date and weekly hours to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line, please reference: Policy & Lobbying Intern.