Farm Programs Intern – Denver, CO
Organization Overview: Denver Urban Gardens
Position Title: Farm Programs Intern
Location: Denver, CO
Hours, Compensation & Benefits: 32 hrs/week, can range from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. $1,024 per month.
Position Dates: April 15 – October 31. Dates are not flexible.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
Posted On: February 8, 2013
DeLaney Community Farm is Denver Urban Gardens’ community supported agriculture (CSA) project in Aurora. DeLaney Community Farm staff, interns, and volunteers cultivate three and a half acres of organic vegetables, flowers, and herbs on historic farmland generously provided by Aurora Parks & Open Space.
The Farm’s goals are to provide healthy, locally produced food for people of all socio–economic levels and serve as an example of urban agriculture; use organic practices that protect our soil, water, air and wildlife; emphasize quality over quantity; and educate and reconnect people with the land that sustains them.
We are looking for a motivated seasonal intern with a passion for sustainable urban farming & food systems, community building, efficiency and a willingness to do hard work in all kinds of weather. Sustained energy is essential to the farm’s success. This internship is an opportunity for hands-on learning, where a commitment to self-education is key.
Farm Programs Intern will work with the Farm Programs and Outreach Coordinator closely on activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and supervise work days for the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program at DeLaney
- Attend and lead WIC Taste-Testing Demonstrations and Nutrition Clinics
- Aid in weekly administration duties, including grant research
- Maintain shareholder work log and contact book, track hours, update shareholders
- Supervise youth, adult, and community workgroups and volunteers
- Provide educational tours
- Manage portions of a weekly newsletter, including researching seasonal recipes, taking photographs, and gathering quotes and stories from community members and staff
- Complete an independent project
- Maintain enthusiasm about the work at the DeLaney Community Farm
Will work with the Operations Coordinator on activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Seed or transplant, cultivate vegetables, herbs, flowers, and other crops using organic practices
- Harvest, clean, divide and distribute produce to shareholders
- Turn, build, and manage the compost system
- Operate farm stand onsite and farmers’ markets offsite
- Well organized, self-motivated, creative, attention to detail, flexible, communicative and a high awareness of personal and farm safety
- High level of comfort with public speaking
- Ability to do outdoor, physically demanding work
- High comfort level in diverse settings and diverse communities
- Photography skills a plus
- Willingness to collaborate with DUG staff, Farm Staff, other interns, shareholders and community groups
How to Apply: Please send the following documents, consecutively, in one combined PDF: letter of interest, resume, and three employer or school references to the address below.
Denver Urban Gardens, Attn: Heather DeLong, 3377 Blake St., Suite #113, Denver, CO 80205.