COAST Internship – Organizer for Citizen Action – Sandy Hook, NJ
Organization: Clean Ocean Action (COA)
Position Title: COAST Intern
Location: Sandy Hook, NJ
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, 40 hours per week, with some weekends required. $750/month stipend and travel expenses (excluding commuting) provided.
Position Dates: As early in May as possible.
Application Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Posted On: February 15, 2013
Clean Ocean Action is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to protecting marine water quality in the New York Bight (those waters between Montauk Point, NY, and Cape May, NJ, and to the continental shelf). COA is a broad-based coalition of over 135 active boating, business, community, conservation, diving, environmental, fishing, religious, service, student, surfing, and women’s groups. COA identifies sources of pollution and takes actions to stop them using research, education, and citizen action. For more information about COA visit www.cleanoceanaction.org.
This full-time internship position with Clean Ocean Action (COA) is an exciting opportunity for a student to help address the environmental impacts as a result of Superstorm Sandy and to gain experience in public relations, outreach, marketing, and grassroots organizing as part of a citizen action campaign for ocean advocacy. COA’s major summer campaign to inform and involve the public is called C.O.A.S.T. (Clean Ocean Action’s Shore Tips). This year, the focus of the campaign will be to assist with the Waves of Action programs.
The campaign is held in cooperation with Participating Organizations, coastal businesses, citizens, and shore communities. During the campaign, information tables staffed by COA volunteers are set-up at beaches and coastal businesses along the coast. Information is provided to the public on how individuals can make a difference in the quality of NJ’s coastal waters. This summer the Waves of Action program will be incorporated into the COAST campaign and include one Saturday per month of projects specifically in response to Superstorm Sandy.
The summer 2013 COAST Intern will be responsible for organizing all aspects of the C.O.A.S.T. campaign. Specifically the Intern will:
- Research policy issues for COAST campaign
- Coordinate educational materials for information tables
- Arrange and inform volunteers to staff the tables
- Coordinate media activities, including press conferences related to the C.O.A.S.T. program
- Assist the Education Coordinator & Citizen Action Coordinator with Waves of Action program coordination
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Monmouth and Ocean County
- Willingness to work nights (if needed) and to be “on call” on weekends
- Requires a reliable car and the ability to pack and deliver supply boxes
- Enthusiasm and basic knowledge of environmental issues
- Organizational and communication skills
- Willingness to work hard
How to Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and a list of 3 references with affiliations and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with “COAST Internship” as the subject line.