Program Manager – Nursery Outreach and Events – Point Richmond, CA
Organization: Bay-Friendly Landscaping & Gardening Coalition
Position Title: Program Manager – Nursery Outreach and Events
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Hours & Compensation: Part-time, contract position, 15-20 hours/week. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Position Dates: Start date March 15, 2013.
Application Deadline: February 27, 2013.
Posted On: February 15, 2013.
The Bay-Friendly Landscaping & Gardening Coalition was formed in 2009 with the vision of teaching people about effective, practical ways to create and care for landscapes that support rather than uproot natural ecological systems. We are looking for an outstanding organizer to lead our nursery outreach and events program with the aim of inspiring positive behavior changes that lead to the creation of regenerative gardens and landscapes.
We believe that every home gardener and landscape professional can create regenerative green spaces that enhance the health of people and wildlife, reduce costs for building and maintaining public infrastructure such as flood and stormwater controls, and provide valuable ecological services such as attracting pollinators, mitigating climate change impacts and purifying water.
To achieve this vision, we:
- Inspire home gardeners to grow green at home and to advocate for healthier gardening and landscaping practices in their communities
- Train landscape architects, designers, contractors and maintenance contractors in how and why to put healthy landscape principles into practice
- Develop guidelines, standards and how-to resources that promote practical, cost-effective alternatives to conventional gardening and landscaping practices
- Assist public agencies in adopting landscape policies that save money, expand green job opportunities, safeguard community health and protect valuable natural resources
- Grow markets forlandscape professionals, nurseries and other businesses that offer environmentally sound gardening and landscape solutions
The nursery program currently includes eight partner nurseries, all located in Alameda County. The program’s primary focus is on seasonal educational talks and events for home gardeners at nurseries, and includes training for nursery staff and Bay-Friendly labeling for plants. The program is closely tied to the annual Bay-Friendly Garden Tour and the Bay-Friendly Training and Qualification Program for landscape professionals. The Bay-Friendly Coalition has received grant funding from the Department of Water Resources through Proposition 84 to expand this program to additional nurseries in the Bay Area. The grant is a partnership with water agencies in the Bay Area, and directly supports water conservation rebates offered by those agencies. In support of the rebate programs, the immediate focus of the home gardener events is on lawn reduction and replacement.
The Program Manager will work collaboratively with managers of the other Bay-Friendly programs, such as landscape professional education and Rated Landscapes. The Program Manager reports to the Executive Director
- Oversee all aspects of the nursery program
- Identify and secure new partner nurseries to host educational events
- Coordinate and schedule educational events at nurseries
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with new and existing nursery partners
- Recruit, hire, and manage educators and volunteers
- Work with nurseries to implement plant labeling program
- Collaborate with nursery partners, sponsors, other Bay-Friendly programs, and other non-profit organizations working in nurseries
- Oversee training for nursery staff on Bay-Friendly practices and resources
- Knowledge of Bay Area nursery industry, including retailers, wholesalers, and growers
- Experience in organization of events, marketing, and/or adult education
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage the development of clear, compelling, professional, and attractive display and marketing collateral
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced and collaborative work environment
- Proven team-building and volunteer management experience
- Proficiency in reporting, document, and presentation development
- Knowledge of the following software: Microsoft Office and Adobe
- Ability to rapidly adapt to technology used by the Coalition for program delivery, including project management software and other reporting and tracking tools
- Ability to bend, lift, and move up to 20 pounds
- Reliable transportation along with valid, current CA Driver’s License and insurance
The ideal candidate will have a track record of collaborative event organizing, program development, and an understanding of the nursery industry, trends, and market drivers that affect consumer choices in the retail garden center environment. Understanding of sustainable landscape maintenance, design or construction is preferred.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter with “Program Manager” in the subject line to email@example.com by February 27, 2013.
Bay-Friendly Landscaping & Gardening Coalition, http://www.bayfriendlycoalition.org
111 Park Place, Suite 208, Point Richmond, CA 94801