Director of Hull Springs Farm – Farmville, VA
Organization: Longwood University
Position Title: Director of Hull Springs Farm
Location: Farmville, VA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Commonwealth of Virginia benefits accompany this position. The selected candidate must complete a Statement of Personal Economic Interests.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately.
Posted On: February 22, 2013
Longwood University is an institution of higher learning dedicated to the development of citizen leaders who are prepared to make positive contributions to the common good of society.
We invite qualified applicants to apply for the position of Director of Hull Springs Farm. Current work at Hull Springs Farm, a 662 acre waterfront property in Virginia’s Northern Neck, is guided by a mission to manage and develop the site as a compelling model of conservation and stewardship to educate the students of Longwood University, other institutions, and the greater community about their role in creating a more sustainable planet. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to play a critical role in Hull Springs Farm’s development as a premier education, research, and conservation center for the University, the Commonwealth, and the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Responsible for all activities at Hull Springs Farm, including but not limited to facilities planning; business plan development; fundraising, marketing and communications; property management; and identification, design and construction of housing alternatives
- Work with Longwood University Foundation administration and Longwood University administration to coordinate, the design, development, and building of an already approved wetland mitigation bank
- Work with Longwood University Advancement staff to develop a comprehensive fundraising plan to support the operations and further utilization of Hull Springs Farm
- Promote outreach to Longwood University community, local and regional youth development organizations, school systems, community colleges, universities, and state agencies to promote further utilization of facility
- Oversee day-to-day operations of Hull Springs Farm
- Manage applicable funding source(s) as appropriate, including preparation of grant applications and amendments, preparation and submission of financial and programmatic reports, and coordination with project officers to ensure compliance with all funding source requirements
- Work collaboratively to create and implement a long-term strategic plan for Hull Springs Farm
- Work with various constituencies on and off campus to seek solutions to Hull Springs Farm’s needs pertinent to property development, maintenance, and facility utilization
- Represent and raise the profile and visibility of Hull Springs Farm externally to funders, partners, policymakers, and the public
- Analyze potential business models and partnership opportunities, and build sustainable financial models working with university senior administration, boards, local, regional and state agencies, and volunteers
- Perform all duties ethically; ensure all decisions, activities and business are in compliance with policies and applicable Commonwealth and Federal laws and regulations
- Bachelor’s Degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Entrepreneurial spirit to grow and expand utilization, and provide for long-term financial independence of Hull Springs Farm
- Enthusiasm for moving valuable and impactful projects form nascent stages to full potential
- Knowledge of and appreciation for natural resources to support Hull Springs Farm’s goal of serving as a model of conservation and sustainable land management
- Proven success in fundraising, grant writing, management and administration
- Ability to manage multiple high priorities with competing deadlines
- Skilled in effective written and oral communication with individuals and large groups, analysis of data, and creation and editing of reports
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and judgment; ability to collaborate and build coalitions with a wide range of individuals and organizations at the local, regional, and national levels
- Ability to plan, coordinate and monitor goals and strategies
- Computer proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, and word processing
- Ability to travel, including some overnight; split time between the Longwood University campus and Hull Springs Farm, with the majority of time in the first year being spent in Farmville
Human Resources, Longwood University, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909