Event Director: Paddle to the Sea – San Francisco, Modesto, or Sonora, CA
Organization: Tuolumne River Trust
Position Title: Event Director for Paddle to the Sea
Location: San Francisco, Modesto, or Sonora, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, short-term contract position with the possibility of becoming a long-term position. Salary depends on level of event planning and fundraising experience and track record.
The Tuolumne River Trust is the voice for the River. We promote stewardship of the Tuolumne through:
- Education, community outreach and adventures
- Collaboration with a diverse array of stakeholders
- On-the-ground restoration projects
- Advocacy and grassroots organizing to demonstrate public support for our work
The Tuolumne River Trust (TRT) is seeking a Program Director for Paddle to the Sea—an annual paddle-a-thon from Yosemite to the Golden Gate that builds support for stewardship of the river. This could be a full-time or contract position based in San Francisco, Modesto or Sonora.
Beyond raising funds for TRT and taking our membership to historic heights, Paddle to the Sea is a core program that educates thousands of people about the river, builds grassroots support, and increases our visibility though earned media and outreach. Participants have several ways to get involved from paddling one or more of the 15 legs to attending events along the way in Groveland, Modesto, Stockton and San Francisco.
Paddle to the Sea is an all-hands-on deck effort that involves the entire staff. The successful candidate will manage and oversee implementation of this month-long event that takes place in May and June with support from the staff (including the outgoing Director), board members, interns, volunteers and professional guides. This is a great opportunity to join a motivated team working to protect the Tuolumne River and its tributaries. This position reports to the ED and works closely with the Advancement Director.
- Developing the organizing plan and budget for Paddle to the Sea by setting goals and determining the strategies and steps needed to reach them.
- Planning and implementing marketing and recruitment for the event including website maintenance, recruitment events/info sessions, presentations, tabling, and the development and distribution of online and paper marketing materials.
- Managing the sign up and registration process for paddling days and events.
- Developing packets for paddlers that include information about what to bring, how to start their personal fundraising effort, and a map with directions.
- Providing support and encouragement for participants to ensure they reach their fundraising goals as part of the paddle-a-thon and are ready to go for their day on the river.
- Coordinating boating logistics and event organizing for kick-off, finale and other events along the way such as setting up events, obtaining permits and working with guides to organize shuttles, boats and other equipment.
- Planning and supporting the earned media effort by contacting media outlets, writing press materials and serving as a spokesperson.
- Working with Advancement Director to pursue and manage relationships with corporate and foundation sponsors (some grant writing and reporting).
- Coordinate and manage TRT staff to implement all of the above and ensure internal communication through staff calls and meetings.
- Requires weekend and evening work during the event and travel throughout the watershed.
- At least three years of event planning and/or grassroots organizing experience.
- Experience with individual fundraising and membership development.
- Boating experience a plus, but not essential.
- Highly organized with a track record of developing and implementing plans for large events or campaigns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with experience managing teams.
- Ability to develop budgets, manage contractors, and track expenses.
- Computer skills: basic Excel, website maintenance (not development) and mass email communications programs.
- A love for California’s rivers and a desire to help protect them.
- Creative, resourceful and able to manage multiple moving parts.
- Valid California driver’s license and a vehicle.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and a cover letter with subject line “Paddle to the Sea Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Tuolumne River Trust, http://www.tuolumne.org