Public Policy Intern – Lexington, MA
Organization: Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP)
Position Title: Public Policy Intern
Location: Lexington, MA
Hours & Compensation: Flexible – could be a few days a week or full-time. Unpaid.
Position Dates: Flexible start dates.
NEEP is a regional nonprofit that promotes the efficient use of energy in homes, buildings and industry in the Northeast. We advance cutting-edge products and practices through coordinated, whole-building efficiency programs and policies. Saving energy creates a stronger economy, a cleaner environment and a more reliable and affordable energy system.
NEEP seeks qualified candidates for intern positions during semester or summer terms. Interns will work with our Public Policy Department, reporting to the Manager of Public Policy Outreach and supporting general department initiatives. This job is based in Lexington, MA. Reliable transportation is required as public transport is limited. Some field travel is also possible.
NEEP’s policy team works to advance energy efficiency policies across the northeast states. Our work includes legislation, utility regulation, general efficiency funding, the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, building energy codes, high performance schools and public buildings, and appliance efficiency standards.
The policy intern will provide general support to the policy team and will also be granted opportunities to learn about energy efficiency in a real-world setting. Participating in staff meetings, educational webinars, attending public hearings and energy conferences are all possible. Sample projects include:
- Legislative and regulatory tracking
- Researching and writing briefings on policy topics
- Outreach to legislative, regulatory and utility staff, building contact lists
- Writing/editing articles for our newsletter, Highlights
- Attending public hearings on energy efficiency policy initiatives
- Helping prepare media responses when relevant topics make news
- Supporting NEEP’s annual regional energy efficiency summit.
- Candidate may be a student pursuing BA or MA, preferably in a related energy, environmental, or public policy field
- Some experience in energy or environmental program or policy work
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Ability to take direction, work independently, and coordinate work with others
- Proficient use of spreadsheets, word processing, database and Internet tools
- Ability to be an advocate for NEEP’s mission and vision
How to Apply: To apply, send resume and writing sample to Natalie Hildt, Public Policy Outreach Manager at email@example.com with copy to Bob McTighe, Director of Finance & Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org. References should be furnished only upon request.
91 Hartwell Ave., Lexington, MA 02421