International Climate Intern – Tropical Forest Protection – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: International Climate Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: 35 hr/wk for 10 weeks. Eligible for academic credit only.
Position Dates: Flexible, but ideally from May 20 – August 8, 2013.
Application Deadline: Until filled.
Posted On: March 4, 2013.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, founded in 1967, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund has become what The Economist called “America”s most economically literate green campaigners.”
Environmental Defense Fund’s International Climate Program seeks a summer 2013 intern in our Washington, D.C. office to assist in developing mechanisms to mobilize private finance to provide substantial and secure long-term funding for forest-protection initiatives. The intern will work with EDF’s Chief Natural Resource Economist to conduct economic research, and help generate materials describing proposed approaches for a variety of audiences.
Tasks will include but are not be limited to:
- Compile data on economic returns to land use in tropical-forest nations
- Research existing and potential financial mechanisms
- Help prepare materials for non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative analysis
- Demonstrated interest in environmental economics and policy
- Highly proficient in MS Excel and Word
- Experience with statistical data-management software preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as to work independently
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, names of three references and a writing sample not edited by anyone other than the applicant. There is no formal deadline, but the position may be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund, http://www.edf.org