Energy and Climate Program Intern – San Francisco, CA
Organization: The Center for the Next Generation
Position Title: Energy and Climate Program Intern
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: 15 hours/week. $15-$20/hour.
Position Dates: 3 months; tentatively between mid-April – July 2013.
Application Deadline: April 8, 2013.
Posted On: March 19, 2013.
Next Generation promotes solutions to two of the biggest challenges confronting the next generation of Americans: The risk of dangerous climate change, and the threat of diminished prospects for children and families. Through the use of non-partisan research, policy development, and strategic communications, we identify strategies that help deploy clean, advanced energy technologies; we also work to ensure a level playing field from which today’s kids can build a brighter future.
Next Generation takes lessons learned from California, America’s largest, most populous state, and helps spread innovative ideas that can be enacted through public policy, private enterprise, families, and individuals.
We need brilliant minds to help make the case for policies that encourage smart and sustainable economic development. We are preparing to launch a national research and communications effort to help make the economic case for immediate action to address climate change. Interns will work closely with the Program Director and senior staff to support national climate policy research and communications.
Successful candidates must have experience or exposure to energy and climate policy, particularly as they intersect with economics and federal/state policy, and must be strong writers with proven research abilities. Energy interns are engaged in all facets of the program, including policy development, strategic communications, influencing public opinion and framing the debate around energy and sustainability. Interns must be comfortable operating under strict deadlines.
- Researching energy and climate policy issues using national and state data sets
- Identifying and summarizing/utilizing national reports and research on energy and climate policy issues
- Writing memos, issue briefs, blog posts, and other internal and external products on advanced energy and sustainability issues
- Helping organize occasional convenings, roundtables, and other public and private events related to our work
- Light administrative help as needed (scheduling meetings, filing paperwork)
- Demonstrated interest in issues concerning energy and climate, especially as these issues intersect with economics and federal/state policy
- Excellent analytical, writing and editing, and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in online research
- Experience researching and manipulating public data sets (e.g. Energy Information Administration, Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to work in our San Francisco office
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put “Energy and Climate Program Intern” in the subject line.
The Center for the Next Generation, http://www.thenextgeneration.org
351 California Street, 1200, San Francisco, CA 94104