Communications Fellow – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Smart Growth America
Position: Communications Fellow
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, 40 hours/week. Stipend of $1500 per month.
Position Dates: Minimum commitment of six months required. Available for an immediate start.
Application Deadline: Open immediately and accepted on a rolling basis.
Posted On: April 12, 2013.
Smart Growth America advocates for people who want to live and work in great neighborhoods. We believe smart growth solutions support businesses and jobs, provide more options for how people get around and make it more affordable to live near work and the grocery store. Our coalition works with communities to fight sprawl and save money. We are making America’s neighborhoods great together.
Are you interested in urban planning and economic development? Are you looking to gain experience working on federal and state policy to help make great neighborhoods? If so, Smart Growth America is the place for you.
Smart Growth America is hiring for a Communications Fellow to contribute to our website, online networks, and press efforts. This is an opportunity that features a great deal of responsibility, direct collaboration with our supporters, and valuable hands-on experience.
The ideal Communications Fellow is an excellent writer tapped in to news about politics and smart growth development, and who can turn that information into engaging content for our website, email lists and social media. Applicants should be dependable team players who can perform regular duties while also offering new ideas for how to make our work even better.
- Aggregating news about smart growth issues;
- Posting our daily news clips;
- Contributing to Smart Growth America’s social media presence;
- Tracking social media and web analytics;
- Writing original content for our blog;
- Assisting with outreach to reporters and bloggers; and
- Providing communications support for our coalition partners.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented person with excellent writing, oral communication, and orgnizational skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong interest in smart growth, economic development, small business, transportation, community growth, or related areas.
- Basic understanding of HTML
- Proficiency using content management systems
- Solid understanding of social media for organizations
- Interest in contributing to communications strategy
- Knowledge of Photoshop and leading new media strategies are a definite plus.
- Highly computer literate with experience in web content and the Microsoft Office Suite.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (no more than five pages to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Fellow” in the email subject line. Applications are open immediately and will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Smart Growth America, http://smartgrowthamerica.org
If interested in this position, contact Eban or Molly for the name of a contact.