Smart Growth Program Associate – Baltimore, MD
Organization: 1000 Friends of Maryland
Position: Smart Growth Program Associate
Location: Baltimore, MD
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, $35,000 – $40,000.
Application Deadline: May 10, 2013 at 6 pm.
Posted On: April 16, 2013.
1000 Friends of Maryland works for a better quality of life by engaging all Marylanders to achieve vibrant communities and healthy rural economies.
We protect Maryland’s natural areas and open spaces, improve the quality of life in our communities, restore once vibrant cities and towns, and improve public transportation through meaningful public participation, education, research and advocacy. Formed in 1994 by a wide-ranging coalition including environmentalists, developers, historic preservationists, architects and urban planners, we began as an all-volunteer organization and hired our first staff in 1998.
The Policy Associate will help implement smart growth at the state and local level. This will involve taking state initiatives, such as PlanMaryland and the Watershed Implementation Plans, Agricultural Preservation and Sustainable Growth Act of 2012 and supporting organization efforts to implement successful programs at the local level. It will also entail supporting targeted campaigns to advance local smart growth efforts.
- Helping to implement state initiatives and local campaigns
- Outreach to local organizations, businesses, and governments to build support for effective policy at the county and municipal level. This includes speaking engagements and meetings.
- Creating communication tools including social media, email alerts, website content, fact sheets to build support for policy reform
- Effectively communicating economic and environmental arguments
- Researching existing state and local policy and related issues
- Helping to build, engage, and manage diverse coalitions.
- Assist with state-level policy reform during the Maryland legislative session
- Familiarity with Maryland environmental and smart growth issues
- Experience communicating policy issues to the general public
- Familiarity developing and implementing policy campaigns
- Excellent writing skills and experienced public speaker
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse people and organizations
- Ability to tackle new assignments quickly
- Understanding of the state legislative process
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent personal and written communications
- Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs, social media and websites and general familiarity with database programs
- Reliable method of transportation and ability to attend meetings across the state
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter outlining your relevant experience, a resume and a one or two page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1000 Friends of Maryland, http://www.friendsofmd.org
1209 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202