Director of Education, Audubon Canyon Ranch – San Rafael, CA
Organization: Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership of Marin
Position Title: Director of Education, Audubon Canyon Ranch
Location: San Rafael, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: April 25, 2013.
The Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership of Marin promotes volunteerism, strengthens nonprofit organizations, and enhances community leadership in Marin County through a broad range of services and resources.
The Director of Education (DoE) manages strategic program planning, community outreach, program evaluation, program delivery and administration of ACR’s Nature Education programs. The DoE is responsible for maintaining the high quality of ACR’s Education programs, and ensuring they meet relevant standards and best practices. The DoE also supports ACR’s Director of Development in developing and implementing strategic fundraising initiatives for ACR Education; oversees volunteer coordination efforts for ACR Education volunteers; and serves as ACR’s representative to external constituencies and other leaders in the environmental education non-profit community. The position supervises three staff members, and is located at ACR’s Bouverie Preserve in Glen Ellen.
- Direct ACR’s Nature Education program activities and, through support provided by the preserve Resident Biologists, ensure that program content is scientifically accurate and promotes ecological literacy as an important element in strengthening personal connections with nature
- Serve as ACR’s “education ambassador” to external audiences and take leadership in maintaining networks to the broader environmental education community
- Create a long-term vision for ACR’s Nature Education program, updating and implementing existing plan elements as appropriate
- Oversee the general administration of Education Department programs
- Prepare and oversee the annual Education Department operating budget
- Review and, as necessary, align ACR curricula and materials with current California State Curriculum Content Standards for third, fourth and fifth grades and other relevant standards, curricula, and best practices
- Work to develop the cultural competency of ACR’s Nature Education programs, including reviewing and adjusting techniques and materials to increase environmental understanding and appreciation for students and visitors from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Participate as a member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Supervise the Martin Griffin and Bouverie Preserve Resident Biologists and Community Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator
- Work with education staff and evaluation consultant to develop and implement education program evaluation instruments, including on-line surveys and teacher focus groups
- Oversee the content and delivery of teacher orientation and information materials, including Teacher Packets, workshops, and the teacher website
- Ensure consistency among core elements of ACR’s education programs while recognizing and supporting the unique characteristics of each
- Oversee the development and maintenance of program and volunteer databases necessary to support the Nature Education programs
- Serve as staff liaison to the Education Committee of ACR’s Board of Directors
- Direct the development, maintenance, and implementation of ongoing community outreach and volunteer recruitment and retention strategies and plans for ACR’s Nature Education programs
- As necessary, work with the Community Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator and appropriate staff and volunteers to address concerns and resolve disputes and grievances in accordance with established practices, policies and procedures
- Support the Director of Development and Communications in creating and implementing fund development strategies for the Nature Education programs, and develop the necessary narratives, budgets, and outcomes to supplement and support the core funding needs of the Education Department
- Prepare and oversee preparation and content of reports and informational materials pertaining to ACR nature education programs, including those required for publicity and fundraising purposes as requested by the Director of Development and Communications
- Work with the Director of Development and Communications to devise and implement effective strategies to publicize ACR’s Nature Education programs
- Provide content as needed to update and enhance the Education section of the ACR website in collaboration with Development and Communications staff
- Passion for and commitment to nature education and stewardship
- Proven leadership and management skills, with substantial experience in managing environmental or nature education programs designed to engage adults and/or youth
- Demonstrated experience in strategic program planning, program management, and evaluation
- Experience with program budgeting for non-profit programs
- A collaborative approach to working balanced by strong supervisory skills
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple demands, think independently, and perform with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well with diverse individuals and organizations, and build on such work to develop effective partnerships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including developing narratives for fund development purposes
- Experience in the non-profit sector working with governance Boards and other volunteers
- Ability to mentor and honor ACR’s volunteers
- Master’s degree in environmental education or related field.
- Equivalent of 5 years experience in a field related to environmental education/program administration.
How to Apply:
This Search is being conducted by Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership, Transition Services
To be considered for the position:
- Email your resume and cover letter as two separate attached documents (.doc or .pdf only) in confidence to: TransitionServices@cvnl.org. Type “[Last name] ACR Director of Education” in the Subject line of the email
- In addition to your resume and cover letter, please include your LinkedIn profile URL and the URLs for all previous employers.
Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership, Transition Services, http://www.cvnl.org
555 Northgate Drive, San Rafael, CA 94903