Research and Communications Intern – Chicago, IL
Organization: Food Tank: The Think Food Tank
Position Title: Research and Communications Intern
Location: Can be based from anywhere, but preference for an intern based in Chicago
Hours & Compensation: 10-40 hours/week. Unpaid.
Position Dates: 3-6 months. Start immediately.
Posted On: April 23, 2013.
Our food system is broken. Some people don’t have enough of food, while others are eating too much. There’s only one way to fix this problem and it starts with you and me.
Food Tank: The Food Think Tank is for the 7 billion people who have to eat every day. We will offer solutions and environmentally sustainable ways of alleviating hunger, obesity, and poverty by creating a network of connections and information for us to consume and share.
Food Tank is for farmers and producers, policy makers and government leaders, researchers and scientists, academics and journalists, and the funding and donor communities to collaborate on providing sustainable solutions for our most pressing environmental and social problems.
Description and Responsibilities:
The Research and Communications Internship with Food Tank is a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy. The intern will work closely with the Food Tank staff on the following: writing articles for major blogs, newspapers, websites, and magazines, research and develop content for a new project and website; research and fact-checking; collecting, organizing, and managing web content; organizing resources and contacts; providing logistical and administrative support to on-the-ground research; and assisting in writing and outreach that will contribute to and help to promote the ongoing project. Interns will also have the chance to have their name published on prominent food, nutrition, policy, and environmental websites and in major newspapers and columns around the world.
- Excellent writing and communication skills; preferably experience reporting on isseues for newspapers, journals, and other publications
- Ability to self-manage and stay organized while maintaining multiple assignments and deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for food and agriculture issues – and for the importance of accurate information and analysis to guide environmental decision-making
- Coursework reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media, and website design. Work in media and communications fields is a plus. The work requires attention to detail and creativity.
- Experience with web and blog design and management, as well as professional video editing software and Photoshop
- Skills in quantitative research and statistical analysis
- Skills in event planning and event management
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to Eve Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Food Tank Internship” in the subject line. The recruitment process is open until positions are filled. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
Food Tank: The Food Think Tank
4858 N. Hermitage, Chicago, IL 60640