Outreach and Policy Coordinator – San Francisco, CA
Organization: Earth Law Center
Job Title: Outreach and Policy Coordinator
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full-time, Earth Law Center offers nonprofit salaries commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: As soon as possible; position to remain open until filled.
Posted On: April 29th, 2013
Earth Law Center educates and advocates for laws and policies that recognize and promote the inherent rights of nature to exist, thrive and evolve.
We envision a future where the inherent rights of nature are respected and implemented globally.
Earth Law Center takes on specific initiatives to develop, increase awareness of, and advocate for Earth-based laws, policies, economies, philosophies and governance systems. Initiatives include advocacy projects on behalf of particular ecosystems and communities, university educational programs, and innovative research efforts. Earth Law Center works to broaden the vocal constituency for these initiatives through strategic alliances with environmental and citizen group advocates, indigenous groups, legal professionals, scientists, students, government officials, green businesses, sustainable living organizations, and others.
Earth Law Center is offering a position for a highly qualified applicant with a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues. The fellow will work under the supervision of the Executive Director to support the work of Earth Law Center generally, and to implement a suite of programs that support the rights of nature.
- Outreach to, and mobilization and coordination of, coalitions and working groups advancing the rights of nature. Organization of meetings and workshops of such groups. Development of rights of nature background materials tailored to outreach efforts.
- Development and presentation of detailed analyses, comment letters, memoranda, and recommendations related to: California water quality and water supply, marine health and governance, and rights of nature and its application. Oral testimony before state agencies and their staff and decisionmakers (particularly the State Water Resources Control Board and Ocean Protection Council), and Legislative committees.
- Production of background information and outreach materials on ELC and its activities.
- Outreach to universities to obtain student intern assistance with ELC initiatives.
- Administrative support, including regular website content and social media updating.
- Fundraising support, including researching funding opportunities, tracking deadlines, preparing proposals, and drafting grant reports.
- Preparation of mapping tools that inform policy positions (Google maps or similar platform).
- Performance of other duties as directed by supervisor
- Undergraduate degree in environmental studies or policy, or a related field; at least two years of experience working in the environmental non-profit arena strongly preferred. Master’s or law degree a plus. Working familiarity with California environmental issues, particularly related to water quality/supply and marine issues.
- Experience with social media tools, fundraising, and/or coalition and event organizing strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as in a team. Excellent organizational and writing skills. Motivated self-starter. Skilled at public speaking.
- Some travel required, particularly to Sacramento as well as within California generally.
How to Apply:
Email a resume and a cover letter to Linda Sheehan at: email@example.com. No phone calls or hard copy documents please.