Research Analyst – San Diego, CA
Organization: California Center for Sustainable Energy (CCSE)
Position Title: Research Analyst
Location: San Diego, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, salary commensurate with experience.
Position Dates: Open until filled.
Application Deadline: None posted.
California Center for Sustainable Energy (CCSE) is an independent, nonprofit organization based in San Diego that accelerates the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via education, market facilitation and policy innovation. At CCSE, we work with policy makers, public agencies, local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders and individuals, and seek to activate integrated rather than singular or silo-ed energy solutions. CCSE informs through best practices learned from daily work; drives energy innovation via facilitation, tools and services; and empowers people to make wise energy decisions.
This position is an integral part of the CCSE’s Research and Analysis team, which supports the organization’s policy initiatives, research efforts, clean energy incentive programs, and marketing & outreach activities. The research analyst will expand on existing tools and services, contributing to CCSE’s analytical capacity, particularly in the areas of research design, statistical methods, database management, and data visualization.
1. Research, Research Design, and Statistical Methods
- Compile, read, and summarize existing literature to frame research efforts and inform policy
- Assemble, manipulate, analyze and interpret data from various sources, often in coordination with external research partners
- Perform statistical analysis, including multivariable linear regressions, spatial analysis, time series modeling and forecasting techniques
- Draft written reports and proposals describing completed or proposed model design, implementation and results.
2. Database Management
- Establish, maintain, and query incentive program and research project databases
- Maintain database integrity by setting and enforcing standards and controls, often in coordination with technical subcontractors
- Maintain database performance by troubleshooting problems
3. Data Visualization and Reporting
- Generate web-based data visualization and reporting tools
- Develop and maintain program data report templates, dashboards, and maps in response to requests from utilities, public agencies, and internal clients
- Develop analytical tools for program assessment, tracking and evaluation
- Access and facilitate reporting from existing programs, customer relationship management (CRM) databases, and enterprise resource planning software databases
- Contribute to Research and Analysis team strategy/work plan
- Provide prompt, professional, and courteous telephone, email, and in-person interactions
- Perform other duties as required
- Proficiency in at least one statistical analysis tool, STATA preferred
- Working knowledge of ESRI ArcMap 9 or above
- Extremely detail-oriented; should possess exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to perform within required deadlines
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to manage multiple tasks, changing priorities, and complex assignments
- Proficiency with database design and management
- Proficient with data visualization techniques
- Familiar with database query programming languages such as SQL
- Familiar with one or more widely used software programming language
- Prior experience working with or within public agencies preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, policy, engineering, computer science or related field. Master’s degree strongly preferred. Coursework should show substantial analytical content.
- Minimum of two years’ experience. A combination of professional and academic experience will be considered.
- Experienced with advanced quantitative research design and methods
Computer and/or Technical Skills:
- Demonstrated, highly competent abilities with various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Proficiency in at least one statistical analysis told, STATA preferred.
- Working knowledge of ESRI ArcMap 9 or above.
How to Apply:
Potential applicants must complete a California Center for Sustainable Energy Employment Application, resume, cover letter, writing samples, and references. Applications are available at the CCSE website at http://www.energycenter.org.
California Center for Sustainable Energy, http://www.energycenter.org
9325 Sky Park Court, Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92123