Senior Specialist, Building Energy Initiative – Chicago, IL
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: Senior Specialist, Building Energy Initiative
Location: Chicago, IL
Position Dates: Funded through December 2014.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 10, 2013.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF Climate Corps (www.edfclimatecorps.org) taps the talents of tomorrow’s leaders to save energy, money and the environment by placing specially-trained fellows in companies, cities and universities as dedicated energy problem solvers. Each fellow develops a customized, actionable energy investment plan designed to meet the host organization’s unique needs. If improving building energy efficiency were as simple as flipping a switch, organizations could easily cash in on big cost savings and emission reductions. Unfortunately, limited resources, information gaps and regulatory barriers prevent many organizations from taking advantage of smart energy investments. EDF Climate Corps overcomes these barriers. Since the program’s launch in 2008, EDF Climate Corps fellows have uncovered over a billion dollars in energy savings for participating organizations.
EDF is launching a new initiative in Chicago to accelerate investment in energy efficiency and demand response and increase adoption of energy management practices in buildings. Our goals are to create a successful pilot that can be replicated in other cities, and to leverage the results and relationships developed through this initiative to advance EDF’s climate and energy goals.
Under the direction of the Project Manager for the Chicago Buildings Pilot, the Project Specialist will lead implementation of EDF’s new building energy management initiative in Chicago. The Project Specialist will build key local relationships to expand participation in the program and maximize its impact, carry out key program activities, and track and communicate results.
- Develop relationships with key building owners and operators, staff in the City of Chicago and the Mayor’s office, and other local partners as appropriate
- Recruit building owners to participate in EDF Climate Corps
- Manage EDF Climate Corps summer engagements in Chicago, including developing workplans, reviewing and vetting final results, and tracking implementation of fellow recommendations
- Champion energy efficiency project identification and implementation year-round for a subset of influential buildings in Chicago
- Support the creation of a learning network for building managers and operators to boost participation in energy efficiency and demand response programs
- Support and track implementation of projects from all participating buildings
- Track and evaluate program results through surveys, project data analysis, and after-action reviews
- Communicate program results to internal and external stakeholders through meetings, reports, media and online outreach, conferences, presentations, and other methods; and
- Work with EDF’s marketing and communications staff to promote EDF Climate Corps, including supporting media outreach and developing marketing materials
- 2-4 years of professional experience and graduate degree in business, science, policy, economics or law in areas related to the environment and/or energy; bachelor’s degree with sufficient experience will also be considered;
- Demonstrated success in moving stakeholders to agreement and joint action on complex issues;
- Working knowledge of the business and policy implications of energy markets, building energy efficiency, demand response, and smart grid;
- Working knowledge of state policymaking, structure and political processes;
- Solid experience in project management;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong analytical skills, including graduate level financial analysis, and experience in analysis and documentation in support of highly visible work;
- Exceptional personal organization, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task;
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and work on fast-paced, dynamic issues. Ability to recognize and build on political opportunities for progress;
- Ability to work both independently and as a leader or member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment with colleagues and partners of varied background and experience. Able to prioritize, be flexible, and respond quickly to changing opportunities;
- Willingness to travel (up to 20% of the time);
- Strong proficiency in the use of IBM PCs, the Microsoft Office suite of software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint), database programs, and Salesforce.com;
- Sales experience a plus.
How to Apply:
Apply online on the EDF website.
Environmental Defense Fund, http://www.edf.org