Litigation Assistant (Mid-Pacific) – Honolulu, HI
Position Title: Litigation Assistant
Location: Honolulu, HI
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications.
Position Dates: Start August 2013.
Application Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Posted On: May 9, 2013.
Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, big-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.
The Mid-Pacific Regional office is seeking a Litigation Assistant to provide both substantive and administrative support to our legal staff. The position is full-time, however applicants seeking a part-time job-sharing arrangement will be considered. The position will be available in August 2013 in our Honolulu office.
The litigation assistant will assist our Mid-Pacific Regional Office attorneys. Tasks may include,but are not limited to, the following:
- Case development, including web and library factual and technical research and analysis;
- Preparation and review of discovery materials in evidentiary proceedings;
- Preparation of tables, correspondence, exhibits, and other documents related to administrative submissions (such as regulatory comments) and court filings;
- Preparation, service, and filing of agency and court documents, including electronic filings;
- Organization and maintenance of case files and docket;
- Creation of PowerPoint presentations for public education, Board meetings, and fundraising efforts;
- General administrative assistance (photocopying, proofreading, taking meeting minutes, updating database of case descriptions, communications with agencies and courts, monitoring court rules, answering phones)
- Bachelor’s degree required. Paralegal training or a background in environmental or public health science, policy, or advocacy is a plus.
- Can-do attitude, meticulous attention to detail, and an unrelenting commitment to high performance standards.
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and computer skills (word processing, databases and spreadsheets, Internet, etc.)
- Ability to organize and to set priorities among multiple assignments; to meet deadlines; and to function calmly under pressure.
How to Apply:
Please send a letter explaining your interest and qualifications, a resume, a brief writing sample, and contact information for three references by e-mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Legal Assistant Application.Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No telephone calls or hard copies.
223 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96813