Project Assistant Intern – Suchitoto, Cuscatlan, El Salvador
Organization: Permaculture Institute of El Salvador (IPES)
Position Title: Project Assistant Intern
Location: Suchitoto, Cuscatlan, El Salvador
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Unpaid, but accommodation is provided.
Position Dates: Start end of June/beginning of July 2013. Minimum of 1 year commitment.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 14, 2013.
The Permaculture Institute of El Salvador (IPES) is a grassroots NGO made up of subsistence farmers in rural El Salvador. IPES aims to improve the lives of Salvadoran farmers by teaching permaculture principles and practices that can help them become more self-sufficient, protect their natural resources, improve their diets and increase their resilience to climate change.
Our office is based in the beautiful colonial town of Suchitoto in northern El Salvador. We also have a permaculture demonstration site 20 minutes outside of town where our team of apprentices and volunteers cultivate the land using permaculture techniques and give tours and training to all kinds of visitors from El Salvador and elsewhere.
IPES is currently seeking a Project Assistant Intern to assist the Coordinator with the general running of the organisation. The position is ideal for anyone with an interest in sustainable agriculture, food security and community development looking to gain on-the-ground experience in the field of international development.
The Project Assistant will answer to IPES’ Coordinator in El Salvador and the Director who is currently based in the U.K.
- Drafting and proof-reading project proposals and end-of-project reports and evaluations
- Translation of documents from English into Spanish and vice-versa
- Grant-writing and fundraising
- Technical support such as backing up files, organizing the email system and contacts list
- General administrative tasks such as replying to emails, answering calls
- Assisting in the coordination of tours of the demonstration site, training sessions, and consultations
- Supporting the team in preparing for training sessions and consultations
- Assisting visitors and researchers with information about IPES, liaising with the team and facilitating visits to the demonstration site and communities
- Occasionally assisting the office staff with budgeting and administrative tasks
- Fluent in Spanish and English
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer proficient (Word, Excel, outlook)
- Adaptable and culturally sensitive
- Interest in sustainable development, ecological agriculture, and food security
- Minimum 1 year commitment
How to Apply:
Applicants should send their CV and a cover letter explaining how they fit the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permaculture Institute of El Salvador, http://www.permacultura.com.sv