Climate Change Program Summer Internship – Garrison, NY
Organization: Garrison Institute
Position Title: Climate Change Intern
Location: Garrison, NY
Hours & Compensation: 24 hours/week. Monthly stipend available, plus some meals, room/board.
Position Dates: June – August.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2013.
Posted On: May 14, 2013.
The mission of the Garrison Institute is to apply the transformative power of contemplation to today’s pressing social and environmental concerns. The Institute explores the intersection of contemplation and engaged action in the world, helping build a more compassionate, resilient future. To learn more, visit www.garrisoninstitute.org.
The Garrison Institute presents a wonderful opportunity to learn in a beautiful,contemplative setting with a thoughtful community of individuals.
The Garrison Institute, a non-profit, non-sectarian organization located in Garrison, NY is currently seeking an intern for the Summer 2013 to support our Climate, Mind and Behavior Initiative (CMB), whose work focuses on exploring the connection between social sciences research and human-based solutions to climate change. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience with a cutting-edge non-profit organization.
The CMB Initiative is working to translate scientific knowledge into smart, new programs that reduce our energy and carbon footprints in ways that are better aligned with human nature. The Initiative seeks to leverage the power of intermediate level institutions – cities, businesses and organizations – to facilitate pro-environmental behavior change using a middle-out social change approach. The CMB Initiative has several projects, each of which will have an annual symposium; one of which is happening June 9-12 and another in late summer. Interns will participate in each event and have an opportunity to learn from and meet many of the key attendees, speakers and thought leaders in the field.
- Perform administrative tasks and provide programmatic support as needed for the CMB symposia and other meetings. This will include attending and assisting during the Climate, Mind, and Behavior Symposium (in June)
- Enter and track relationship data
- Assist with content and distribution of e-newsletters and social media (Twitter)
- Conduct web-based research on climate and sustainability-related issues
- Post website content updates
- Support the Program staff in managing a reference library including uploading new articles and resource materials
- General clerical skills
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Expertise in proofreading and editing documents
- Computer literacy with experience in using MS Office, databases, email, and internet savvy
- Strong desire to learn about and support the Garrison Institute’s mission and the CMB program
- Candidates currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program are encouraged to apply as are those with a degree in social, physical, or biological sciences or humanities with a demonstrated interest in environmental sustainability
How to Apply:
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to: Garrison Institute, Internships, PO Box 532, Garrison, NY 10524 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.
The Garrison Institute, http://www.garrisoninstitute.org