Clean Transportation, Business and Commuter Programs – San Francisco, CA
Organization: SF Environment
Position Title: Clean Transportation Intern, Business and Commuter Programs
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: Minimum of 20 hours/week. Unpaid.
Position Dates: Start around June 30, 2013. 3-6 month internship.
Application Deadline: June 7, 2013.
Posted On: May 21, 2013.
The mission of the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) is to promote innovative policies and programs to protect the urban and natural environment, promote social equity and expand the green economy. SF Environment programs include Zero Waste/Recycling, Climate, Green Building, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, Toxics Reduction, Environmental Justice, Urban Agriculture, Clean Transportation, Urban Forest, and Public Information Programs. The Clean Transportation Program works to improve air quality in San Francisco, primarily by reducing vehicle emissions, and working with businesses and other local and regional agencies to promote trip reduction. For more information on SF Environment and the Clean Transportation Program, visit SFEnvironment.org/commutesmart.
This internship will focus on the Commuter Benefits Ordinance. The Ordinance requires businesses with twenty or more employees to provide a commuter benefit. The goal of the Ordinance is to reduce driving alone to and from work. Part of the administration of the Ordinance is annual compliance reporting and enforcement.
As an intern, you will be helping with the annual compliance process. Activities include sending out compliance notifications and monitoring submissions. Enforcement is being piloted this year and activities include sending notifications to non-compliant businesses, monitoring the enforcement process and analyzing pilot results.
You will also be helping with the implementation of a campaign to encourage San Francisco commuters to use sustainable transportation modes. Campaign activities include developing materials, monitoring roll-out, coordinating with stakeholders, marketing at events and analyzing the data of the campaign.
- Assist with the implementation of the spring 2013 commuting campaign to encourage the use of sustainable transportation modes (walking, biking, transit, carpool), including assisting with outreach efforts to businesses with low to zero employee commuter benefit participation
- Attend and participate in outreach tabling events
- Collect and analyze compliance enforcement data
- Ongoing compliance and enforcement assistance
- Assist with GIS mapping of compliance data
- Currently enrolled college/university junior, senior or graduate student majoring in urban planning, environmental studies or communications at an accredited college or university. Recent graduates of these programs are also encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel, Access and database management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate and work well with others in a professional office environment
- Detail-oriented and flexible, able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, etc.) and Google Docs
- Ability to assist with evening and weekend events
How to Apply:
Applicants must be a currently enrolled college/university junior, senior or graduate student majoring in urban planning, environmental studies or communications at an accredited college or university. Recent graduates of these programs are also encouraged to apply.
- Submit a cover letter (1 page max.) stating:
- Your interest in working on the San Francisco business and commuter transportation programs
- Experience relevant to this position
- Examples of initiative and/or a fresh approach to an existing system
Send the above documents and information to:
RE: Businesses and Commuters Internship
SF Environment, http://www.sfenvironment.org
1455 Market Street, Suite 1200, San Francisco, CA 94103