Policy Internship – Lilongwe, Malawi
Organization: Kusamala Institute of Agriculture and Ecology
Position Title: Policy Intern
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Hours & Compensation: Unpaid.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 20, 2013.
Kusamala Institute of Agriculture and Ecology (Kusamala) is a local, non-governmental organization that promotes household-level permaculture and agroecology systems in Malawi. Founded in 2009, Kusamala houses Malawi’s largest permaculture demonstration site, Nature’s Gift Permaculture Centre. Through the Centre’s demonstrations, Kusamala educates individuals and communities on how to improve nutrition, income generation, and environmental health. Through grants and programs, Kusamala conducts outreach, research, and advocacy with the aim to show the viability of permaculture as a local and national agricultural strategy. In a country where 80% of the population are subsistence farmers, Kusamala demonstrates how local resources can meet human needs while improving quality of life both for people and the environment.
The policy intern will work closely with our Director of Programs & Communications to research and write policy and position papers on Malawian agricultural policy. Research will focus on a thorough analysis of Malawi’s Fertilizer Input Subsidy Program and explore alternative, agroecology-based policy options. This position will be based at our demonstration center outside the capital city of Lilongwe or, for the right candidate, could be done remotely.
- BA or MA/MS in Public Policy, Environmental Policy, Economics, or a related field
- Have research and policy analysis experience, particularly relating to a developing country context, ideally in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Have experience with economic analysis
- Have an understanding of or strong interest in sustainable agriculture, generally, and permaculture or agroecology, specifically
- Have experience working in an intercultural environment
- Have strong written and spoken communication skills
- Be interested in a unique learning experience at a small, growing international non-profit
How to Apply: To apply please email a cover letter, CV/resume and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kusamala Institute of Agriculture & Ecology, http://www.kusamala.org