Three Seas Program Coordinator – Nahant, MA; Bocas del Toro, Panama; and Seattle, WA
Organization: Northeastern University Marine Science Center
Position Title: Three Seas Program Coordinator
Location: Nahant, MA; Bocas del Toro, Panama; Seattle, WA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 22, 2013.
Students who wish to move beyond the confines of the traditional classroom will spend an exciting year of field and laboratory studies at three very different locations, the Northeast coast and the Northwest coast in the United States, as well as Panama’s Caribbean coast in Central America. The Three Seas Program is ideal for advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students eager to broaden their knowledge of marine science. Our program has a strong research focus, with a diverse and high-caliber faculty who direct active research programs.
This program is unique in that no other college program offers the opportunity to learn in three diverse ecosystem locations, explore the field in such depth, and enroll in a wide variety of marine biology courses.
Alumni of the Three Seas Program, which is now in its 29th year, have gained admission to the best graduate programs, and are now leaders in their field.
The Three Seas Field Coordinator will be responsible for all logistics of the Three Seas Program (http://www.northeastern.edu/threeseas/). The Three Seas Program trains approximately 20-25 students per year through a rigorous, hands-on experience in Marine Biology. The program begins with the fall semester at Northeastern’s Marine Science Center in Nahant, MA, then in the spring semester moves to the Smithsonian Tropical Research Center in Bocas del Toro, Panama, and concludes in late spring/early summer at the University of Washington’s Friday Harbor Laboratories.
- Arrange housing and transportation for all three locations of the program for students, TAs, and faculty
- Provide on-ground logistical support for all aspects of the program
- Ensure that the program has all needed supplies and equipment, including making purchasing decisions and maintaining dive equipment
- Maintain primary responsibility for the safety of all program participants while traveling, diving, and in residence at remote field locations
- Work with the program’s Master of Science students to identify and secure research internships for the final pahse of their program
- Promote the program by attending Northeastern recruiting events
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine Biology or similar required; Master of Science degree highly preferred
- Two years field research experience in a marine environment.
- Scientific diving certification required (preferably AAUS). Dive Master or Instructor certification preferred.
- Trained in CPR and AED use.
- Willingness and ability to travel and spend significant time abroad.
- Proficiency in spoken Spanish a plus.
- Some teaching experience preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and references online at: https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/24706
Three Seas Program, http://northeastern.edu/threeseas
Northeastern University, Marine Science Center, 430 Nahant Road, Nahant, MA 01908