Research Associate, Energy and Environment – New York, NY
Organization: Council on Foreign Relations
Position Title: Research Associate, Energy and Environment
Location: New York, NY
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary based on education and experience.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 4, 2013.
The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading independent, nonpartisan membership organization, think tank, and publisher. Founded in 1921, CFR is dedicated to being a resource for its members, government officials, business executives, journalists, educators and students, civic and religious leaders, and other interested citizens to better understand the world and the foreign policy choices facing the United States and other countries. CFR, with headquarters located in New York City and an office in Washington, DC, conducts outreach programs to target constituencies nationwide. The organization’s 4,500+ members are leaders in global issues and include representatives from a broad range of fields. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent journal on international affairs. CFR provides commentary and analysis about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org, on ForeignAffairs.com, and through social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
The Research Associate will work under the direction of a fellow with a focus on energy, resources, and climate.
- Researching specific areas, finding articles, writing research briefs, analyzing data sets, and tracking news as requested by the Fellow.
- Assisting with drafting, fact-checking, proofreading and editing of blogs, op-eds, journal articles, and other written matierals
- Coordinating events, including sending invitations and managing RSVPs, corresponding with speakers and presiders, helping prepare background papers and materials for distribution, and providing other logistical support
- Managing budgets, including preparing budgets and tracking monthly statements, monitoring grant information, and writing reports and requests
- Providing administrative support to the fellow, including schedule, booking travel, handling correspondence, and responding to requests for information
- Assisting fellow with social media outreach including publishing a blog, website, video, and/or using social media applications such as Twitter, Google+, etc., as needed.
- BA in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, or a related field, with high academic credentials. Candidates with a BA in natural science and a strong background in international relations or political science will also be considered.
- Two-three years related administrative and/or internship experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with quantitative data essential; strong quantitative skills a plus
- Strong research, proofreading, and editing skills
- Very strong organizational skills and multitasking skills with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines and work calmly in a fast-paced environment
- Background in U.S. foreign policy/climate change/energy strongly preferred. Interest in nuclear security also a plus.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should email, fax, or mail a resume and cover letter to the Human Resources department at the below contact information. PLEASE INCLUDE THE POSITION NAME IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL.
Council on Foreign Relations, http://www.cfr.org
Human Resources Office, 58 E. 68th Street, New York, NY 10065