Policy Coordinator, Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning – Washington, DC
Organization: Ocean Conservancy
Position Title: Policy Coordinator, Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary Commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Our country’s ocean and coasts today face an era of unprecedented activity. Different uses are all competing to stake their claims on the ocean without proper planning that puts conservation first. In fact, the way the United States currently manages its ocean is fundamentally flawed. More than 20 federal agencies apply 140 laws in pursuit of their departmental mandates, often in isolation from each other. Ocean Conservancy is working to remedy this situation by promoting coastal and marine spatial planning to protect, maintain, and restore healthy marine ecosystems while allowing sustainable economic development. Ocean Conservancy led efforts that resulted in coastal and marine spatial planning’s being included in the National Ocean Policy promulgated by President Barack Obama by Executive Order in July 2010.
The Policy Coordinator is responsible for conducting research to support Ocean Conservancy’s campaign to secure federal policy that advances coastal and marine spatial planning (MSP) to protect, restore and maintain ecosystem health. The Policy Coordinator works primarily with the Senior Manager, Team Lead, and Government Relations team to conduct research and generate written products to support Ocean Conservancy’s work with stakeholders and on the Hill.
- Produce written reports and other materials as requested by the Team Lead, Senior Manager, and Government Relations team.
- Attend relevant meetings and provide notes as requested by the Team Lead, Senior Manager, and GOvernment Relations team.
- Update materials, like state fact sheets, and assist in organizing meetings and fly-ins to support Appropriations work.
- Demonstrated ability to digest and summarize complex information; prepare written documents quickly clearly, and efficiently; work effectively with diverse teams; integrate across disciplines; work collaboratively with a wide variety of stakeholders and communicate about complex issues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products required.
- Ability to be flexible and work under pressure.
- Great multi-tasking skills with the ability to see the big picture and remain attentive to details, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Highly responsive and collaborative with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach; willing to take on a variety of tasks to further the program goals.
- B.A. required, degree in environmental policy, political science, or marine science preferred.
- One to two years experience working with Congress, the federal government, or state or local governments on marine environmental issues, marine spatial planning, or land use planning preferred.
How to Apply:
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities along with your resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com and note your name and “Policy Coordinator, CMSP #1305” in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy, http://www.oceanconservancy.org
1300 19th Street NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20036