Policy and Planning Intern – Bronx, NY
Organization: Sustainable South Bronx
Position Title: Policy and Planning Intern
Location: Bronx, NY
Hours & Compensation: 20-24 hours/week. Unpaid. Monthly Metrocard provided.
Position Dates: 6-8 weeks beginning in June.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 13, 2013.
Sustainable South Bronx (SSBx) works with the South Bronx and other underserved urban communities as they transform themselves into great, sustainable places to live. We do this by providing a collaborative model that addresses environmental and economic concerns through green job training, community greening programs, and social enterprise.
The Policy and Planning Intern will support the Director of Sustainable Policy & Research on community advocacy and research related to environmental justice issues facing the South Bronx. Issue areas may include: land use, issues related to the South Bronx Greenway and pedestrian safety, diesel trucks and alternative fuel sources, food justice areas, and energy policy.
- Conduct research, gathering, and analyzing information.
- Write summaries and educational fact sheets for the website and community outreach purposes.
- Work with the Director of Sustainable Policy & Research and the Director of BEST Academy to develop a policy curriculum for BEST students and alumni.
- Support SSBx’s various grassroots outreach efforts.
- Work closely with the Director of Sustainable Policy & Outreach and our technical advisors to develop white papers and reports.
- Help prepare testimony and talking points for community events, press conferences, protests and hearings.
- Represent SSBx at meetings pertaining to issue areas.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Must have an outgoing, energetic personality and be willing to engage with a wide range of people;
- Able to communicate well in person and on the phone;
- Able to work independently and complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Proficiency in GIS strongly preferred;
- Willing to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends as needed and be willing to travel to various; communities throughout the Bronx;
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred; upper-level undergraduates will be considered.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a brief cover letter, addressed to Angela Tovar, Policy and Planning Dept., to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read “Policy and Planning Intern.”
Sustainable South Bronx, http://www.ssbx.org
1231 Lafayette Avenue, 4th Floor, Bronx, NY 10474