Field Coordinator – Boone, NC
Organization: Appalachian Voices
Position Title: Field Coordinator
Location: Boone, NC
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience and skills.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 17, 2013.
Appalachian Voices is an award-winning, environmental non-profit committed to protecting the land, air and water of the central and southern Appalachian region, focusing on reducing coal’s impact on the region and advancing our vision for a cleaner energy future.
Appalachian Voices is seeking a Field Coordinator. This individual will join a team of professional dedicated to bringing people together to implement solutions to the environmental problems having the greatest impact on the region.
Based in Boone, NC, the Field Coordinator will report to the Director of Programs and will coordinate with staff engaged in outreach to people and businesses in rural Appalachia to build support for our campaigns to strengthen clean water protections, reduce pollution from coal-fired power plants, end mountaintop removal coal mining and promote energy efficiency financing programs for homeowners. The successful candidate will have solid skills and experiences in three primary areas: volunteer management, field organizing, and analytics.
- Create and implement an outreach plan to increase community involvement in our Appalachian Water Watch, Energy Savings for Appalachia, and Red, White, & Water campaigns;
- Oversee regular volunteer nights and train and lead teams of volunteers to conduct phone banking, door-to-door canvasses and direct mail to homes and businesses across Appalachia;
- Oversee development of an “integrated outreach management” that combines personal and household information from the Voter Activation Network and other third-party databases with a constituent amnagemetn system that tracks detailed information about communications through e-mail, social media, direct mail, phone-banking and canvasses;
- Assist in developing and validating predictive models using the outreach management system and the Voter Activation Network to improve targeting of outreach efforts and optimize communications with different demographic and geographic groups;
- Work with Appalachian Voices’ communications team to create compelling outreach materials in both print and digital formats;
- Work with Appalachian Voices’ development team to implement strategies to build membership in low-income communities directly impacted by coal mining and power plant pollution.
- Strong communications skills and ability to understand and translate complex technical and policy information into compelling language;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and inspire volunteers and activists and oversee canvasses and/or phone-banks (experience managing a non-profit or political campaign office is a plus);
- Strong analytic ability, “systems thinking”, and creativity in experimenting with new approaches to optimize outreach, communications and data analysis;
- Willingness to travel frequently and work some nights and weekends;
- Familiarity with environmental and/or energy issues, and organizing in rural areas are a plus.
How to Apply:
If interested in applying, please include a cover letter with your resume.
Appalachian Voices, http://www.appalachianvoices.org
Boone, NC Office: 171 Grand Boulevard, Boone, NC 28607