Project Assistant – Albany, NY
Organization: State University of New York (SUNY) System Administration
Position Title: Project Assistant
Location: Albany, NY
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary commensurate with position and experience, includes excellent benefits.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The SUNY Office of Sustainability is responsible for working to reduce the carbon footprint of SUNY through its operations and finding ways to integrate and discover synergies between sustainability research projects across the SUNY campuses. The Office is acting strategically to implement innovative programs that will encourage renewable energy projects and more efficient generation of energy on or near campus, and improve the food infrastructure of New York and adjoining states as we try to leverage SUNY’s large and predictable food purchases.
The SUNY System Administration, located in Albany, New York, is seeking a full-time Project Assistant to the SUNY Director of Sustainability and the Vice President of Strategy and Planning for the Research Foundation.
- Coordinate campus initiatives in an effort to meet the energy goals set forth in SUNY’s Energy-Smart NY and the Governor’s BuildSmart NY.
- Coordinate meetings, speakers, and conferences for the SUNY Office of Sustainability.
- Prepare presentations and reports for the SUNY Office of Sustainability.
- Maintain communication between 29 SUNY state-operated campuses on current and planned sustainability practices and initiatives, including maintaining website.
- Coordinate and promote collaboration between SUNY student environmental groups.
- Assist other SUNY departments with data collection, including: 1) Executive Order 4 – Establishing a State Green Procurement and Agency Sustainability Program; 2) Executive Order 88 -“BuildSmart NY”, 3) Executive Order 142 – Establishing New Waste Reduction and Recycling Initiatives for State Agencies; and 4) BuildSmart NY – 20% Energy Reduction in State Buildings by 2020.
- Provide educational resources for SUNY colleges and universities participating in: 1) AASHE STARS – The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System and 2) ACUPCC – American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment.
Duties and Responsibilities for Vice President of Strategy and Planning for the Research Foundation:
- Perform administrative and logistical work as well as research to further the agenda of an international sustainable research alliance.
- Have front line interactions with members of the alliance.
- Draft grant applications.
- Work on website development.
- Facile use of the Microsoft Office Suite tools
Shared Duties and Responsibilities for Vice President of Strategy and Planning and the Office of Sustainbility in their Joint Work for SUNY’s 4E (Education, Energy, Economics, and Environment) Network of Excellence:
- Similar skills to those required by the international sustainable research alliance.
- Benchmark peers.
- Research funding opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in environmental studies, engineering, biology, chemistry, or physics.
- Advanced degree or experience is preferable.
How to Apply:
Apply online. The Search Committee will begin the review of applications immediately and continue until the position is filled.
State University of New York Office of Sustainability, https://www.suny.edu/capitalfacilities/sustainability.cfm