Agricultural Development Intern – Cochabamba, Bolivia
Organization: Sustainable Bolivia
Position Title: Agricultural Development Intern
Location: Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hours & Compensation: unpaid
Application Deadline: none specified
Sustainable Bolivia (www.sustainablebolivia.org) is a non profit umbrella organization with over 30 partner NGOs. The following internship position is within one of our partner organizations: PAAC
PAAC (Programa de Asistencia Bioenergetica y Apoyo al Campesino) was founded 27 years ago by a group of students from the Faculty of Agriculture at San Simon University. The founding members are still involved with the organization and all remain active in the field of environmental protection. Over the years, PAAC has been fundamental in the creation of FOBAMADE (The Bolivian Environmental Forum), FOCAMADE (The Cochabamba Environmental Forum), and they are part of LIDEMA (The Defense League for the Environment).
PAAC serves rural communities, companies, and municipalities that need assistance with issues of environmental protection. Its projects range from research and environmental education, to work with alternative energies such as bio-energy and lobbying. The organization uses education as the main tool to provoke change in the way people think and perceive environmental issues. By promoting a culture of prevention, PAAC hopes to foster environmental change.
Who does PAAC help? PAAC serves a variety of municipalities; in the Tropical Zone: Puerta Villarroel, Villa Tunari, Chimore; in the Central Zone: Sipe Sipe, Vinto; and also other communities in need.
Working Conditions: There are seven permanent staff members at PAAC, and a large group of Bolivian volunteers. The central office of PAAC is located about twenty minutes from the Cochabamba city center, although volunteers will also spend time in rural locations in the surrounding areas.
PAAC Programs: PAAC runs five different programs, two of which are open to volunteers.
Campaigning: One of PAACs most vital goals is educating and campaigning to the Bolivian people on the importance of the environment. Campaigns aspire to open minds and change perspectives.
Community Awareness: This project raises awareness by doing outreach work in rural communities and educating people on how to take preventative measures so as to protect the future of the environment.
- Creating and running educational workshops
- Raising awareness through leaflets, posters etc
- Creating a research project according to interest/knowledge
- Organizing eco-fairs
- Working with other institutions/governments
- Developing policies and lobbying for a change
- Researching various zones around Bolivia, analyzing current situations and publishing results
- Outreach work in rural areas – organizing weekly meetings and seminars on topics such as recycling or water contamination
- Developing a project according to volunteer interest
- Providing assistance to the administration
- Advanced Spanish
- Experience in environmental science, education, or related field
- Minimum commitment period of 3 months
- Good interpersonal skills and outgoing
- A sincere desire to help
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this opportunity, please fill out an application on our website: