Planning and Design Intern – Washington DC
Organization: Casey Trees
Position Title: Planning and Design Intern
Location: Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: This is a part-time, temporary position, 10-12 weeks in length (10-20 hours per week), starting on or after September 2, for $12/hour (commensurate with experience).
Application Deadline: August 8, 2013
The mission of Casey Trees is to restore, enhance and protect the tree canopy of the Nation’s Capital. http://www.caseytrees.org
Casey Trees is looking for a Planning and Design Intern to work with the Director of Planning and Design to help the Department in their fee-for-service projects and advocacy initiatives.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, enthusiastic, highly motivated individual, loves working with people, and is dedicated to urban tree preservation and green infrastructure planning. The candidate should have excellent research ability, good oral and written communication skills, and the ability to illustrate ideas and concepts graphically. Attention to detail is required.
- Assist Planning Associate on the development of planting plans for our fee-for-service projects:
- Assist in recording notes and photographs on site visits.
- Assist in the development of base maps.
- Assist in the production of landscape drawing sets, site analysis drawings, and final illustrative plans and perspectives.
- Assist in the research of new technology/materials/methods for stormwater management.
- Assist the Planning Director and Planning Associate on advocacy initiatives for the P+D Department.
- Research upcoming and current projects that are relevant to the DC area and Casey Trees’ concerns of urban tree canopy loss.
- Research and maintain up-to-date information on upcoming planning meetings and community meetings with topics associated to tree canopy policy initiatives.
- Assist in working on other community planning projects.
- Assist with preparation for meetings held both at the Casey Trees Headquarters and off site.
- Other responsibilities will be assigned as needed.
- Background in landscape architecture, architecture, planning, environmental policy, or related field OR equivalent work experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite products, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office.
- Basic regional tree and plant knowledge is strongly preferred.
How to Apply:
Please email the following items to Maisie Hughes, Director of Planning and Design Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Available start date
- Contact information for three references
Enter “Planning and Design Intern” in the subject line of the email.
Applications are due by August 5, 2013. No telephone or email inquiries please.