Fossil Fuel Subsidies Campaigner- Washington DC
Organization: Friends of the Earth
Position Title: Fossil Fuel Subsidies Campaigner
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, and an employee contribution-based retirement plan. Full time
Application Deadline: Not given
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that helped protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in 76 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
Friends of the Earth’s Climate and Energy Program challenges the root causes of the burgeoning climate crisis. As part of this effort we are tackling the continued reliance on fossil fuels while refusing to let the drive for non-fossil energy lead to the pollution of our air and water or further threats to our health. We promote energy efficiency and truly clean energy while fighting to end our unhealthy dependence on dirty energy sources such as coal, oil, nuclear and corn ethanol.
An important component of our efforts on climate and energy is our Earth Budget Campaign to end subsidies for polluting industries, ensure adequate funding for government to protect public health and the environment, make polluters pay for the damage caused by their pollution, and encourage investment in clean alternatives. Part of that effort is our fossil fuel subsidies work to eliminate subsidies that are currently being given to the fossil fuel industry.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated individual to help lead a hard-hitting campaign to end government subsidies to the fossil fuel industry. This position will help develop the campaign plan in conjunction with the Friends of the Earth team and will then implement it under the direction of the Climate and Energy Director.
Develop and implement strategic campaign plans (including research, outreach, public education, organizing, press, social media, markets and policy advocacy) in conjunction with the Climate and Energy Director, Economic Policy Team Director, Communications Director and other stakeholders.
- Conduct research and analysis to develop reports, articles, factsheets, web content and other campaign materials on fossil fuel subsidies to educate allies, opinion leaders, policymakers, the press, and the public.
- Develop expertise on subsidies for the fossil fuel industry including tax subsidies, appropriations, and leasing.
- Coordinate and collaborate with a wide variety of allies (environmental, environmental justice, conservative, free market, taxpayer groups, etc.).
- Represent Friends of the Earth with members of Congress and their staff, the administration and outside opinion leaders.
- Represent Friends of the Earth with the media and at public events to support campaign objectives and reach key audiences.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Four or more years of experience in campaigning, organizing, policy advocacy (not necessarily environmental), and/or legislative work at the federal or state level.
Desired Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of legislative and executive branch processes.
- Ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including advocacy, coalition building, public speaking, research, and communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire trust and respect among colleagues and external partners and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team.
- Demonstrated ability to work in coordination with a diverse coalition of allies and partners from across the political spectrum.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and comfort presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, and government officials.
- A demonstrated commitment to the environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Experience with the appropriations and tax processes is strongly preferred, but is not essential.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter, resume, salary requirement and a short writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Fossil Fuel Subsidies Campaigner.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.