Director, Environment Programs- San Francisco, CA
Organization: The Asia Foundation
Position Title: Director, Environment Programs
Location: 465 California Street, 9th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94104, United States
Hours and Compensation: full-time
Application Deadline: 5:00 PM PDT ON SEPTEMBER 25, 2013
The Asia Foundation is seeking a Director of Environment Programs to be based in our San Francisco, CA office. Under the direction of the Vice President for Programs, the Director is responsible for establishing strategic direction, developing programs, and securing funding from public and private sources to support the Foundation’s work in the Environment field. This includes programs related to Natural Resource Management and Use, Trans-boundary Water Resources Management, Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience, Disaster Preparedness and Risk, and possible exploratory programs in urban environment. The Director is expected to develop partnerships with established environmental organizations and with bilateral, multi-lateral, and private donors in Asia, the United States, Europe, and Australia. The Director is responsible for providing conceptual leadership and organizational backstopping for development, implementation, and fundraising for innovative, high-impact programs at the country level appropriate to the national and local needs and conditions of different Asian countries. He/she represents the Foundation to external partners in government, civil society, the private sector, and the research and policy communities; and raises the visibility of the Foundation’s environmental programs through presentations, conference, written products, etc. The Director supervises Environment program staff based in San Francisco and is responsible for managing headquarters engagement with country program staff in this thematic area as well as providing backstopping and guidance to the Foundation’s environment staff in its 18 country offices.
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience in design and implementation of environment programs;
- At least 3 years experience in program management and staff supervision;
- Strong track record in new program development and innovation;
- Extensive knowledge of international policy debates in the environment field;
- Excellent analytic, communication, and writing skills; demonstrated team-building skills;
- Strong fundraising record, with experience with proposal preparation and knowledge of and experience with bilateral and multilateral donors;
- Knowledge of and experience with the large international environmental NGOs, especially those operating in Asia; and
- Experience living and working in Asia preferred; extensive knowledge of environmental issues and trends in Asia.
The Director is required to spend a significant amount of time traveling (roughly one-third time, primarily in Asia), engaging with the Foundation’s country offices throughout the region.
Minimum of a Master’s degree in environment field, environmental governance or sustainable development, or related field in international development.
How to Apply
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. Please submit your application directly by visiting our website at www.asiafoundation.org/about/employment/ and selecting “Regular Employment.”
We will only consider applicants who provide a cover letter along with their resume and submit their application prior to the deadline of 5:00 PM PDT September 25, 2013
Must be able to legally work in the United States. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.