Communications Coordinator for Latin America- Peru
Organization: The Center for International Forestry Research
Position Title: Communications Coordinator for Latin America
Location: Lima, Peru
Hours and Compensation:
Application Deadline: October 5, 2013
Start Date: November 1, 2013
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human well-being, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to help shape policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. CIFOR is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a Communications Coordinator for Latin America
The Communications Coordinator for Latin America will lead implementation of a well-funded and far-reaching communication program to raise awareness of CIFOR’s research in the forestry sector in Latin America. The Coordinator will work closely with CIFOR scientists across Latin America to create uptake pathways for research findings with the goal of maximizing outcomes and impact for specific research projects. Target stakeholders include government officials, the private sector, civil society, donors, media and the research community.
The Coordinator will collaborate with CIFOR’s communication teams globally, especially those based at its headquarters in Indonesia. This internationally recruited position will require substantial travel, especially across Latin America. He/she will report to CIFOR’s Media Liaison and Outreach Manager.
The ideal candidate would have a passion for science communications, with broad experience and familiarity with emerging social media tools and trends. He/she would be a strong writer and take pleasure in taking complex research findings and making them understandable and accessible for a broad audience, especially policymakers. The successful candidate would be bilingual in English and Spanish, and preferably Portuguese too, and would be experienced in managing a complex, geographically diverse communication project.
- Update, expand and oversee implementation of a communications strategy to deliver research findings to key stakeholders in Latin America and elsewhere;
- Work closely with CIFOR’s communications units: This comprises a large Outreach team with officers and consultants in Asia and Africa; a Multimedia unit, which overseas CIFOR’s many web platforms and publications; and a Data & Information group, which coordinates data-sharing and CIFOR’s publication repository;
- Be the focal point for CIFOR’s media relations in Latin America;
- Draft and edit press releases, talking points, op-eds, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents;
- Build communication plans and budgets into research proposals and projects;
- Take the lead in organizing conferences and workshops in Latin America.
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies
- Masters degree in journalism, communications, or a related discipline;
- At least 8 years experience in science communications and/or top-tier science journalism;
- Proven strong writer;
- Experience in event coordination an advantage;
- Knowledge of Latin American communication networks
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish, and preferably Portuguese.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Be self motivated, outgoing and welcome the opportunity to work with significant autonomy;
- Have the ability to work independently, multitask and strategize at a macro level;
- Be a team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
- Desire to learn and excel in a high-performance team environment;
- Strong client service approach.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position. CIFOR offers attractive and regionally competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The contract will be for 2 years with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of this project and position and available resources. The position will be based in Lima, Peru.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
How to Apply
- The application deadline is October 5, 2013 but early submission of applications is encouraged.
- We will acknowledge all applications, however, we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to: Human Resources Department, CIFOR email@example.com Please indicate the position in the email subject line.