Executive Director- San Francisco, CA
Organization: Urban Solutions
Position Title: Executive Director
Location: 1167 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA, 94103, US
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: not given
Our vision is to create vibrant, diverse and sustainable San Francisco neighborhoods. The mission of Urban Solutions is to strengthen underserved neighborhoods in San Francisco by supporting small businesses, job creation, diversity and sustainability. Our annual budget is approximately $870,000. From our offices in the South of Market and the Western Addition, Urban Solutions offers a comprehensive range of economic development services:
- Small Business Consulting: Our small business consulting program offers clients one-on-one counseling on loan packaging, business plan development and financial projections.
- Small Business Development Workshops: We host an ongoing series of free workshops for entrepreneurs covering a variety of topics including marketing, legal and tax aspects of small business ownership.
- Business Attraction, Retention & Expansion: We work to revitalize the neighborhoods by attracting, retaining and expanding community-serving businesses that provide more goods and services and also create jobs.
- Brokerage: We provide commercial real estate brokerage services for landlords and tenants.
- Sustainable Business Program: We offer on-site consulting to help small- and medium-sized businesses identify money-saving opportunities that conserve environmental resources.
The Executive Director is responsible for leading the overall direction and implementation of Urban Solutions’ programs and services. In addition, the Executive Director manages the staff, and works in close collaboration with the Board on matters regarding strategy, governance and fundraising. S/he possesses in-depth knowledge in the field of economic development, non-profit operations, fundraising, marketing and programmatic strategy, and ensures the execution of the organization’s mission. At this exciting stage of Urban Solutions’ development, the Executive Director will work to evaluate and improve the organization’s strategic plan in light of current local conditions and a long-term vision for organizational sustainability.**
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct reports: Deputy Director, Director of Small Business Services, Director of Development and Communications, Sustainable Business Program Manager, Accounting and Finance Manager.
Strategic Vision & Leadership
Collaborate with the Board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff and priorities are aligned with the organization’s core mission. Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all staff, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable the organization to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives. Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic and impact performance against stated milestones and goals. Report regularly to the Board, ensuring they have all necessary information to meet their governance responsibilities and that Board committees have the information they need to fulfill their objectives. Work with Board to develop an engaged, diverse, and energized Board, assisting in the recruitment, orientation, and training of new directors and other aspects of Board development.
Fundraising, Marketing & Public Relations Working with development staff, formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies and corporations. Actively seek new revenue sources and support existing sources by engaging the Board in fundraising and developing and submitting proposals for government and private donors. Increase Urban Solutions’ visibility through various media and serve as chief spokesperson representing the organization in the community and with the media. Maintain positive relations with government officials, community organizations, and businesses that can advance Urban Solutions’ mission and vision. Monitor contract compliance and grant objectives, and ensure timely reporting to funders.
Program Management & Operational Oversight Oversee implementation of programs, services and activities that support the organization’s mission and principles. Oversee completion and submission of monthly program reports and preparation of annual analysis of achievements. Program Development: Work with staff, Board of Directors, and the community to continue to create an innovative and balanced spectrum of services and programs that serve the mission of Urban Solutions.
Financial Management & Legal Compliance Oversee the fiscal management of the organization with the support of the Board Treasurer and the bookkeeper, including the forecasting and maintenance of budgets, accounting reports and data, and cost reports. Supervise the preparation of payroll for the organization’s staff as well as tax and related forms associated with the hiring of independent contractors (1099 forms etc.). Responsible for the annual audit and all tax filing (990 and related forms). Ensure that the organization complies with all regulations and all legal and contractual obligations.
Staff Management & Human Resources Manage staff and oversee the human resource function, including: Recruitment, hiring and compensation, benefits administration, professional training and development, annual reviews, and retention strategies. Ensure that personnel management is in accord with written policy.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Urban Solutions’ mission. Other qualities include:
- Significant marketing/branding, public relations, and fundraising experience. Proven ability to lead organization to increased level of reach and outcome. Please describe your success in this area.
- Prior non-profit experience ideal; at least 10 years of senior management experience, track record of effectively leading a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to present specific examples of growth strategies and outcomes.
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills; ability to successfully interact on a one-on-one level and a mass messaging level. Experience and ability to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder and fundraiser on behalf of Urban Solutions is key.
- Ability to be creative, innovative, entrepreneurial, and adaptable and remain true to the organization’s strategic direction and mission.
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus among differing opinions.
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and energy
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.