Executive Directo- Reno, NV
Position Title: Executive Director
Location: 250 Bell St., Reno, NV, 89503, US
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: November 29, 2013
Start Date: December 2, 2013
Mission Statement: Envirolution inspires and empowers the next generation of leaders and workers who will drive the growth of a green economy.
Envirolution is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides a unique blend of formal and informal sustainability education and leadership development programs.We have a core competency in triple bottom line, project-based, service oriented sustainability education.Envirolution is well-known within the Reno-Tahoe communities for developing and leading project based STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) curriculum on sustainability and clean energy, providing professional development workshops, and spearheading leadership and career exposure programs for middle to high school aged youth. Envirolution is committed to preparing our youth for green careers while driving sustainability efforts in their community now.
Envirolution seeks an Executive Director to lead and manage the organization from its office in Reno, NV. In the last five years, Envirolution has emerged as a leader in sustainability education, leadership development programs and career advancement services in both Nevada and New York. Envirolution recently underwent an internal restructure and the New York office is now currently a separate company from the Nevada non-profit. Currently, the Nevada non-profit is seeking a dynamic leader to direct the organization in expanding and improving current programs, identifying new opportunities to achieve the mission, and charting out a path for financial sustainability. The position requires an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to sustainability, education, and youth. The Executive Director will leverage proven and in-demand programs, great partnerships, emerging opportunities, and a unique mission to lead the organization to its next phase of growth. Ideally, the successful candidate will start in mid-November and have one month of overlap with the current Executive Director to become familiar with Envirolution’s programming, staff, and governance.
The Executive Director will spearhead the advancement of the organization’s philosophy, mission, and goals. The Executive Director will work closely with several Americorps volunteers and independent contractors, volunteers from the general public, and the Board of Directors to continue Envirolution’s existing programs and to secure funding to expand its offerings.
- Board Coordination – Facilitates organizational governance by advising and reporting to the Board of Directors, coordinating efforts between Board and staff, and serving on Committees.
- Organizational Management – Has overall responsibility for the day to day operations of the organization, including general administrative duties.
- Program Oversight – Oversees instruction, marketing, delivery and quality of Envirolution’s programming.
- Program Development – Seeks opportunities for new programs consistent with Envirolution’s mission through, but not limited to, coordination with other groups or individuals, granting opportunities, or expansions of current programs.
- Fiscal Management – Ensures that Envirolution is fiscally sound. Establishes rigorous accountability standards for grant and budget tracking. Directs financial activities and makes decisions based on goals and policies developed in concert with Board of Directors. Recommends yearly budget for Board approval.
- Human Resource Management – Recruits, manages, motivates and empowers a small, strong team. Develops and implements appropriate human resource policies and procedures including training, professional development, hiring and firing, and performance management for staff, including the 2 AmeriCorps VISTA staff that Envirolution currently has.
- Customer Relations Management – Assures the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presenting a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders by cultivating and sustaining relationships with partners, donors, and volunteers.
- Fundraising – Oversees fundraising planning and implementation for organization. Works with the AmeriCorps VISTA Development Coordinator to identify resource requirements, research funding sources, establish strategies to approach funders, submit proposals and keep fundraising records and documentation.
- A passion for Envirolution’s mission and vision.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; strong presentation skills.
- Experience in managing small teams, resources, and processes, preferably including experience within a non-profit organization.
- Ability to foster a healthy organizational culture, to encourage teamwork and collaboration; strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate; effective at conflict management.
- Demonstrated success in generating revenue through a variety of fundraising techniques, including experience with major gifts solicitation, planned giving, annual campaigns, special events and grant proposals.
- Direct experience with budget development/management and fiscal oversight.
- Proven skills developing and implementing strategic and/or business plans.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Masters in non-profit management or business administration preferred.
- Experience in informal or formal education, preferably with an emphasis on sustainability
- An understanding of the educational, sustainability, green business and fundraising climate of the Reno-Sparks area.
How to Apply
To apply please e-mail a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For best consideration, apply by October 31st by email. Cover letter should answer the following questions:
- How will your experiences support the mission of Envirolution?
- Why are you interested in the position?
- How will your experiences and skills support a nonprofit organization? If you do not have any non-profit experience, explain how your job history would fit well within the roles of a non-profit executive like fundraising, management, grant-writing and budgeting.
- Why do you believe you are the best person for this position?