Intern, Oceans Communication- Washington DC
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: Intern, Oceans Communication
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: This is an unpaid, volunteer internship. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed. EDF will also support intern in his/her efforts to secure external funding.
Application Deadline: not given
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF is seeking an intern to work with our Oceans Communications and Legislative Team for Fall or Winter 2013. Interested applicants should have communications, research, and writing skills. Basic knowledge of governmental and environmental issues is needed. Interest and experience in ocean and fishery management policy is preferred.
The intern will be responsible for supporting communications staff in EDF’s Ocean’s Program. This work will include supporting traditional and social media efforts, conducting background research on policy issues and other tasks related to the US Oceans Program’s communications goals.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring traditional and non-traditional media outlets for coverage and opportunities
- Circulating daily media clips
- Writing content for newsletters, blog posts, collateral materials, reports and other materials as needed
- Creating visual based content for social media
- Conducting policy research
- Coordinating and executing special projects, as assigned
- Ideal candidate is seeking an internship for course credit in the field of environmental communications, policy or science.
- Strong writing skills required
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented and proficient in the use of standard office equipment and computer software (such as MS Office applications)
- Thorough knowledge of new media including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and blogging (Word Press)
- Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines and maintain a pro-active attitude
- Basic video and photo editing skills (preferred)
How to Apply
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer