Environmental Health Manager – South Sudan
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager
Location: Ajoung Thok Refugee Camp, South Sudan
Hours and Compensation: unclear
Application Deadline: January 4, 2014
Posted on: November 5, 2013
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Environmental Health Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the Environmental Health/WASH program in the refugee camp in Ajoung Thok, Pariang County (Unity State). This position is based in Ajoung Thok (Unity State) and reports to the Environmental Health Coordinator.
– Conduct assessments to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs of the target areas;
– Hold responsibility for the installation of water points as required, conducting rapid assessments, running pumps and generators, setting up water distribution networks, and organizing mass latrine construction campaigns;
– Hold responsibility for evaluating structural and pipeline designs;
– Provide technical support and training for Environmental Health/WASH staff.
Monitoring & Evaluation
– Monitor materials, equipment and supplies for technical work;
– Monitor and evaluate appropriate implementation of projects against program objectives and IRC’s Program Framework.
– Assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources;
– Compile project reports.
Staff Management & Development
– Manage and supervise all Environmental Health/WASH staff;
– Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions;
– Overall responsibility for Environmental Health/WASH team’s timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
Coordination & Representation:
– Attend the the WASH coordination meetings or represent the IRC in other relevant forums.
– All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
– Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
– University degree in civil/environmental engineering or related field;
– At least 3 years professional technical experience in Environmental Health, Civil or Sanitation engineering or equivalent;
– Minimum 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting;
– Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting;
– Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
– Proven technical writing skills;
– Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience.
How to Apply: