Development Director – Durham, NC
Organization: The Scrap Exchange
Position Title: Development Director
Location: Durham, NC
Hours and Compensation: 35-40 hrs/wk, commensurate with experience and internal pay scales, plus benefits (health and dental) and generous time off/leave policy.
Application Deadline: January 6, 2014
The Scrap Exchange is a nonprofit creative reuse arts center in Durham, North Carolina whose mission is to promote creativity, environmental awareness, and community through reuse.
The Scrap Exchange is a national model creative reuse center serving over 250,000 constituent’s annually throughout the southeast. The creative reuse center’s mission is to promote creativity, environmental awareness and community through reuse. The Scrap Exchange is in an exciting time of growth and transition as we purchase a permanent location, advocate locally and nationally for resource recovery, and offer consulting opportunities, all in addition to our regular programming.
The Development Director position will provide a vital leadership role for fundraising including strategic planning, grants and foundation support, Capital Campaign management- working with volunteers and consultants, major donor cultivation, Friends club membership management, special events support, and community giving program. Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Development Director will work to develop strategies and implement programs to raise funds in support of the revenue and program goals of The Scrap Exchange.
Donor Development and Community Relations
- Work with the Fundraising Committee and Executive Director to develop a comprehensive multi-year development strategy for The Scrap Exchange to support achievement of fundraising goals, including identification and cultivation of new individual donors, corporations, and foundation. Develop detailed plans for implementing the strategy.
- Provide support for the Executive Director and Fundraising Committee on strategies and priorities for major gift solicitation.
- Provide oversight to the Annual Fund Drive, donor stewardship, and solicitation events.
- Lead the research, development and preparation of grant proposals, reports and any licensing.
- Oversee the development of marketing and communications materials to support fundraising efforts and track contributions.
- Coordinate the solicitation and acceptance of in-kind donations, ensuring that The Scrap Exchange is a good steward of and displays an appropriate attitude of gratitude.
- Develop relationships and collaborations to build a strong awareness of The Scrap Exchange success rate and accomplishments.
- Ongoing fundraising activities include individual asks, Friends Club management, donor engagement, data mining, and event planning.
- Develop action plan for campaign considering unique circumstances and resources of the area
- reDefine goals, re-Identify stages, milestones and timeframe, Guide redevelopment/editing of inspiring case for support and other supporting documents
- Guide cultivation efforts of identified prospective donors, Work with consultants
Friends Club and Donation Tracking
- Manage and help grow the Friends Club program.
- Track Friends contributions, in-kind contributions, and all other donations in the donor/supporter (ScrapCRM) database.
- Work with Retail Store Assistant Manager to send thank you notes and follow-up with donors.
Charitable Giving Program
- Manage Charitable Giving Program for donations of materials and programming to community organizations seeking support from The Scrap Exchange.
- Create Charitable Giving annual report.
Annual Fund Development
- Implement the annual fund development plan to support the organization’s strategic plan, including but not limited to: Annual Giving, Major Giving, Planned Giving
Other duties/ Shared Responsibilities
- Monitor website and social media to make sure information is current
- Provide additional administrative support to Executive Director
- General office support: answering phones, purchasing supplies and equipment, maintaining files of current and historical records in accordance with official document retention policy
- Must have experience with annual fund drives, grant writing, donor stewardship, auctions, special events, foundation relationship building, capital campaign etc.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with individual donor research and management
- Familiarity with office computer systems including email (Outlook/Thunderbird), Microsoft Office, Excel, Filemaker Pro, and QuickBooks
- Knowledge of office procedures, including filing, office equipment, typing, and policy development
- Able to juggle multiple tasks and work in an active office environment
- Associate/Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field OR 2 years comparable experience
How to Apply
Mail, fax, or email the following: A one-page cover letter, resume, three references, and salary requirements.
Ann May Woodward
The Scrap Exchange
923 Franklin Street, Bay 1
Durham, NC 27701