Mobilization Center Manager – Anchorage, Alaska
Organization: Alaska Center for the Environment
Position Title: Mobilization Center Manager
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Hours and Compensation: full time, salary to be negotiated
Application Deadline: start date, January 6
Alaska’s world-class ecosystems and incredible natural resources sustain our families, communities, and cultures. By building and empowering an engaged conservation constituency, we ACE seeks to conserve the resources that support our unique quality of life for current and future generations. To accomplish this ACE cultivates future environmental leaders; educates Alaskans about key environmental issues; and mobilizes partners and supporters to advocate for sensible conservation and policies.
This position oversees and participates in day-to-day operations of a mobilization center in Anchorage that supports salmon and conservation related campaigns. The mobilization center hosts a phone banking operation that operates 4 to 5 days a week during evening hours, a seasonal field canvass operations, and various volunteer events and trainings. Operations include but are not limited to: opening and closing mobilization center; scheduling phone banks for various campaigns; recruiting, hiring/firing and managing phone canvassers; ensuring technology and databases needed for phone banks are operational; participating in nightly phone banks; producing daily and weekly reports on activity; and maintaining an orderly and welcoming environment.
Mobilization Center Overview:The mobilization center is part of Alaska Center for the Environment/Alaska Conservation Voters and is the main location for phone banking, field canvassing, and volunteer meetings and trainings. The center will function as a typical field office in any campaign, but there may often be 3-5 different issue campaigns operating (and
calling) on any given night. Most campaigns will use the same central database for mobilization.
- Open and close Mobilization Center;
- Schedule all phone banks and volunteer trainings/meetings occurring in Mobilization Center with campaign leadership;
- Ensure technology (laptops, phones, internet) is set up and functioning properly for scheduled phone banks;
- Set up databases for nightly calls as needed;
- Maintain neat, orderly and welcoming space;
- Order and maintain necessary supplies for basic functions (office supplies, volunteer snacks, etc)
- Managing Phone Canvassers:
- With support from ACE and other campaign staff, recruit paid phone canvassers;
- Hire/fire and oversee phone canvassers to ensure nightly goals are met;
- Provide training on basic phone canvassing techniques and technology to staff and volunteers;
- Participate in phone banks (ie, make calls) with paid staff and volunteers to lead by example, trouble-shoot scripts, and help boost numbers;
- Maintain accurate employee records and campaign-by-campaign accounting of hours;
- Provide motivational goals to incentivize performance of phone canvassers;
- Schedule appropriate number of callers each night based on campaign needs;
- Welcome, orient and support volunteer callers each night as needed.
- Provide accurate and timely reports on Mobilization Center activity, including but not limited to:
nightly call results,
campaign-by-campaign accounting of hours,
weekly and monthly activity reports;
- Manage and track Mobilization Center budget;
- Ability to display multiple data sets in an effective and simple manner.
5. . Evaluation and Innovation
- Work with your supervisor to create an annual workplan for your position, and ensure that your job description accurately reflects the work you are doing
- Provide monthly and six month reports to your supervisor
- Develop evaluation metrics for your position with your supervisor and regularly evaluate the impact of the Leadership program
- Provide suggestions and recommendations for innovative ways to increase the impact of leadership development within the organization
- Develop professional development goals for yourself, work with the Executive Director to seek out relevant opportunities
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; etc.
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Excellent listening and retention skills,
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team and independently;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to adjust in the moment;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and changing priorities;
- Experience tracking or managing a budget;
- Experience managing staff with proven ability to provide constructive feedback to staff members;
- Experience using excel, google calendars, and other basic office software;
- Ability to provide motivational support for team members and volunteers;
- Comfort working with technology.
- BA or BS degree in related field- or equivalent work experience;
- Previous staff management experience;
- Ability to work evening hours a must;
- Ability to adapt and adjust quickly a must;
- Previous experience with political campaigns a plus;
- Experience with VAN a plus;
- Experience with Door and Phone Canvasses a major plus;
- Knowledge of Alaska politics a plus;
- Outgoing, gregarious and fun personality required.
ACE is an at-will employer. Employment is a voluntary and is subject to termination by
the employee or ACE at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any
time. The job description of position title outlines duties at the time of hire, but ACE
reserves the right to change these duties as necessary.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.