Managing Editor – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Society for Ecological Restoration
Position Title: Managing Editor
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: Full time; commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: 15 January, 2014
The Society for Ecological Restoration (SER), a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of ecological restoration, is seeking a Managing Editor for its journal, Restoration Ecology, the leading peer-reviewed science journal in this field. The journal is overseen by an Editor-in-Chief (EIC) and a board of Associate Editors who are responsible for selecting content for the journal. The Managing Editor will primarily be responsible for the day-to-day management of Restoration Ecology and will work with the EIC, Associate Editors, and the journal’s publisher to assure timely production of a high-quality publication. The Managing Editor will guide the processing of manuscripts to assure rapid publication and to maintain the high standards of Restoration Ecology. The Managing Editor will receive manuscripts through an online service, direct them to the appropriate Associate Editor, track the manuscripts through the review process, copy-edit accepted manuscripts as necessary, and coordinate the preparation of manuscripts for production, online publication, and print-on-demand production.
The Managing Editor, under the direction of the SER Executive Director, may also assist SER with its member communications program including the production of its online member newsletter and other associated needs.
Desired Education and Experience:
Advanced degree (MS/MA required; Ph.D. preferred) in applied ecological science or ecosystem management or allied field; five years of experience with restoration-relevant research; proven ability to edit scientific content; excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills for internal coordination and external representation of the journal; and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team setting.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong organization and process management skills, with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously within strict deadlines without compromising quality or accuracy.
- Excellent time management and organization skills and ability to promote efficiency with editorial board and reviewers.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and monitor publication budgets.
- Proficient with commonly used scientific databases (e.g., Web of Science) and able to learn new software programs easily.
- Ability to understand and edit research in applied ecology, ecological restoration, conservation, and related fields.
- Familiarity with emerging models of scientific publication and ability to participate in team discussions regarding new opportunities for the journal.
How to Apply
Send letter of application addressing your knowledge, experience, and the minimum requirements; a CV/resume; and names and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on 15 January 2014 and continue until the position is filled.