Outreach Manager (Communications)- Indonesia
Organization: Center for International Forestry Research
Position Title: Outreach Manager (Communications)
Location: Jalan CIFOR, Bogor, Jawa Barat, 16115, Indonesia
Application Deadline: January 15, 2014
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a leading international forestry research organization committed to conserving forests and improving the livelihoods of people in the tropics. With Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia and offices in Asia, Africa and South America, CIFOR works in over 30 countries worldwide and has links with researchers in 50 international, regional and national organizations. CIFOR is a member of the CGIAR (Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research).
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global facility dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to help shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. CIFOR is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The Outreach Manager will lead implementation of a well-funded and far-reaching communication program to raise awareness of CIFOR’s research in the forestry sector worldwide. Leading a global team of about 15 staff, consultants and interns, the Manager will be responsible for creating uptake pathways for research findings with the goal of maximizing outcomes and impact for specific research projects. Target stakeholders include government officials, the private sector, civil society, donors, media and the research community. The Manager will also be responsible for enhancing the Center’s reputation as a leading international research organization.
The ideal candidate would have a passion for science communications, with strong experience leading high-caliber, multicultural teams of communication and knowledge-sharing professionals. He/she would be a strong writer and take pleasure in taking complex research findings and making them understandable and accessible for a broad audience, especially policy makers.
- Lead implementation of media and outreach strategies to build CIFOR’s reputation and maximize the policy and development impact of its research;
- Coordinate outreach activities in Latin America, Africa and Asia, including overseeing the tasks of Regional Communication Coordinators on these three continents, as well as other support staff and consultants;
- Coordinate all communication activities related to conferences and workshops, including drafting event outreach strategies and taking the lead in implementation of key top-tier international conferences. This includes managing an event logistics team;
- Draft and edit press releases, talking points, op-eds, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents;
- Oversee social media activities, especially related to CIFOR’s Forest News blog (blog.cifor.org), a virtual news service on forestry issues. Provide guidance to the Senior Writer, who is responsible for the day-to-day running of the blog.
- Masters degree in communications or a related discipline.
- Have at least 10 years of professional work experience in media/communications, preferably internationally. Have a strong understanding of how media works.
- At least 5 years management experience of teams.
- Be a strong and fast writer and editor with a flair for turning complex research findings into accessible content.
- Have a proven strong understanding of social media.
- Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex communication programs.
- Experience in working for a research facility or within the development sector is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is essential and other languages an asset.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Be self motivated, outgoing and welcome the opportunity to work with significant autonomy; enjoy multitasking;
- Be able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
- Be a team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
- Strong client service approach;
- Proven ability to work well under pressure; have a sense of humor.
Terms and conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position. CIFOR offers attractive and internationally competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The initial contract will be for 2 years with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of this position, and available resources. The position will be based in Bogor, Indonesia.
How to Apply
- The application deadline is 15 January 2014
- To learn more about these positions and to apply please visit our career page at www.cifor.org/careers