Grassroots Change-Oakland, CA.
Position Title: Grassroots Change internship.
Location: Oakland, CA,
Hours & Compensation: paid, 15 hours/week.
Application Deadline: Not listed
Grassroots Change (GC) is seeking paid interns to support a Web and social media strategy devoted to nurturing grassroots public health movements. Grassroots Change interns research and draft online content and contribute to GC’s presence on social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and the Grassroots Change blog.
Grassroots Change supports grassroots movement building as an effective and practical way to create long-term positive change. In issues as diverse as environmental justice, children & nature, tobacco control, and gun violence prevention, progress has come from the bottom up, not top down. The mission of Grassroots Change is to provide grassroots leaders with the support and tools theyneed to build powerful and effective movements at the national, state, and local levels.
Working under the supervision of the Director and/orCommunication Director, GC interns will be responsible for researching and developing content and supporting a network of grassroots advocates working on a wide range of public health issues. GC is looking for interns with diverse experience and skills, including grassroots activism, health policy, information technology, website management, public policy, and politics.
Grassroots Change is considering applications from candidates at the undergraduate, post-graduate, and graduate levels. Internships are contract positions of 3 to 9 months. It is anticipated that interns will devote between 6 and 25 hours per week to fulfilling their responsibilities. Compensation depends on previous experience.Grassroots Change is located near Jack London Square inOakland, California.
Potential intern responsibilities include:
- Research and draft eCommunications, news summaries, blog posts, social media and other content on a range of grassroots health issues.
- Track grassroots public health issues on social media channels.
- Track the activities of network partners, including grassroots advocates, community-based organizations, and other partners.
- Update/improve GC’s website.
- Set goals and objectives and report progress to theDirector and/or Communications Director.
- Experience with online communications, website development and management, grassroots advocacy, public health, and/or social change.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Strong knowledge of social media channels – including Facebook, Twitter and blogs.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and deadlines while maintaining focus on longer-term projects.
- Ability to work as a team with a small staff and diverse constituents.
- Commitment to improving public health and safety by supporting grassroots movements.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree, Graduate Degree, or equivalent experience in Public Health, Public Policy, Communications, Journalism, or related fields.
Please send a short cover note, resume, references, and links to online products to Intern@GrassrootsChange.net. (Please include “Internship Opportunity” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.