Unpaid internship for educators-Cameroon
Organization: Human IS Right
Position Title: Juvenile Delinquency Reformation Project – Unpaid internship for educators
Location: Buea, South-West Region, Cameroon
Hours & Compensation: Unpaid
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Human IS Right is a subsidiary program of Global Conscience Initiative and it aims to bring a deeper conscience on human rights in the Buea region.
Its mission is inspired by the same principles of GCI and its work is strictly in cooperation with the one of the main office.
Since January 2013 HIR started a collaboration with the Borstal Institute in Buea, Cameroon. The Borstal Institute is a governmental reformation centre born in 1965 hosting from 30 juveniles of male sex and of age from 12 to 17 who are placed in the centre for misappropriate social behaviour. As social educator, your role will be to support the local staff of educators in the following up of the reeducative process.
What does the role involve?
Working with the Borstal Institute, the placement aims to support education and reeducation process of youth with social problems. To do this you will:
• facilitate and develop trainings and classes according to your personal skills and according to the need of trainees
support social education program performed in Institute
• build personal relationship with trainees in order to encourage their talents and abilities
• promote and encourage the restoration of relationship between trainees and families
• build the capacity of the local staff to provide effective educational and reeducational skills
Skills, qualifications and experience required:
– Degree level qualification in social or educational science or at least 1 year of significant experiences as social educator
– Previous experience abroad working or volunteering. Previous experiences in Africa is preferable
– Good knowledge of English or French. Ability to speak fluently in both languages is preferable
– Experience in implementing educational methodologies with strong training and facilitation skills
– Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
– Flexibility and ability to work creatively with limited resources.
– Skills at using a capacity building approach with others you are cooperating
– Excellent communication skills, a professional attitude and the ability to respond to changes
– Good mediation skills. Since in Cameroon methodologies and approach to social work is really different compared to the European ones is important that the volunteer is able and willing to be in constant dialogue with the staff and administration of Borstal Institute to find shared solutions of problems.
Cameroon is one of the most peaceful and beautiful country of western Africa. You will live in Buea, the capital of anglophone South West region. The city is placed at the foot of Mount Cameroon, the highest mountain of Western Africa. Thanks to such placement Buea enjoys really good and warm climate conditions. The city has almost 100.000 inhabitants and it’s offering a safe and welcoming environment.
How to apply:
Please send your application, CV and cover letter email@example.com