Environmental Justice Community Organizer-Malden, MA
Organization: Tri-City Community Action Program, Inc.
Position Title: Environmental Justice Community Organizer
Location: Malden, MA
Hours and Compensation: Part time. $14,000 for 20 hours/week. Hours and salary will be increased if funding permits.
Application Deadline: March 21, 2014
Tri-CAP seeks an Environmental Justice Community Organizer to bring local residents and community groups together to work for environmental restoration, public access, and sustainable development along the Malden River corridor. The central goal of this work is to involve in decision-making communities that are usually marginalized in environmental justice issues, such as lower income, ethnically and linguistically diverse, and disabled populations.
The Environmental Justice Organizer will report to the Director of Energy Programs, but, as the only Tri-CAP employee devoted solely to the Environmental Justice Initiative, will function with significant independence in the conduct of his/her day-to-day tasks.
This position is currently funded at 20 hours per week, but hours could be increased if we are successful in procuring additional funding, or if the applicant takes on unrelated responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies or Urban Planning strongly preferred. May substitute an Associate’s degree and 2 years direct organizing or related experience, or three to five years direct organizing or community education experience.
- Minimum one year grassroots outreach and organizing or related experience required.
- Experience in low-income or multi-cultural communities strongly preferred
- Experience working with youth.
- Familiarity with urban environmental issues, especially those related to water resources.
- Demonstrated ability to plan events and convene, structure, and lead meetings.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Grant writing and reporting skills a plus.
- Ability to problem-solve, facilitate, and transition between diverse groups and varied agendas.
- Valid driver’s license and access to legally registered vehicle for employment use.
- Bilingual skills a plus (Chinese, Haitian Creole, Spanish, Arabic or Portuguese).
How to apply:
Please submit letter & resume to:
Barry Ingber, Director of Energy Programs
Tri-City Community Action Program, Inc.
110 Pleasant St, 3rd Floor
Malden, MA 02148