Assistant Editor-Washington, DC
Position Title: Assistant Editor
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: 40 hours/week.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Oceana, a results-oriented international ocean conservation non-profit, is seeking an Assistant Editor to write for our blog, online communications, and publications.
As Oceana’s Assistant Editor, you will write and edit daily posts for Oceana’s blog network, and help shape Oceana’s evolving online voice and brand. You will also be responsible for making sure that Oceana’s international and country websites feature up-to-date content about our many campaigns and victories. Additionally, the Assistant Editor will work with Oceana’s Editor to produce three Oceana magazines each year, plus contribute writing to other publications, including the Annual Report. This position is also responsible for other general copywriting projects as assigned.
- Writing and editing daily posts for Oceana’s blog network, including both content from Oceana’s science campaigns and general ocean policy and science news.
- Creating new content (plus monitoring and updating existing content) on Oceana’s websites.
- Assisting with blog editorial calendar and daily posting duties as needed.
- Assisting with the writing and production of threeOceana magazines annually.
- Assisting with the production of other Oceana publications, including the Annual Report.
- Other copywriting projects as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, or equivalent experience working in a fast-paced reporting environment.
- Superb reporting, writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of SEO and using social media to promote and increase reach of stories.
- Ability to find compelling, timely ocean stories and cultivate network of sources.
- Ability to synthesize complicated scientific jargon quickly and accurately for a lay audience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, other organizations, and the public.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines, work under pressure, and adapt to a fast-changing environment while maintaining humor and high energy.
- Ability to think independently and problem solve, both within the team environment and independently.
- Previous experience in science journalism and/or digital journalism (especially blogs).
- Knowledge of popular science blogging sites.
- Experience with content management systems like Drupal and WordPress and other web tools.
- Ability to speak and write in fluent Spanish.
OCEANA provides a generous benefits package, including comprehensive health, dental, vision, and 403(b) plan, and generous leave. This position is based in Oceana’s Washington, D.C. headquarters. Oceana, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).