Government Relations & External Affairs Internship-Washington, DC.
Position Title: Government Relations & External Affairs Internship
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: 20 hours/week. Unpaid
Application Deadline: Not listed.
The External Relations department liaises with governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations on general refugee policy and UNHCR protection and assistance operations and programs around the world. The unit communicates information about UNHCR programs and humanitarian needs to Congressional offices and Executive agencies concerned with refugee assistance and solutions for refugee situations.
External Affairs & Government Relations Internship
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Monitor Congressional activities & policy developments regarding refugees, asylum seekers & humanitarian emergencies
- Attend relevant Congressional hearings and prepare an analysis for UNHCR staff on content & political messages.
- Attend relevant briefings by NGOs and think tanks and prepare summaries of content.
- Research and respond to information requests from the US government and NGOs.
- Prepare informational memos for briefings and meetings for senior UNHCR staff.
- Assist with content and design for Congressional newsletter published and created by UNHCR
- Administrative duties as needed
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong understanding of the U.S. Congress & legislative process
- Knowledge of international affairs
- Awareness of U.S. national and local political climate
- Excellent oral and written English ability
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office suite, desirable: basic photo editing and resizing skills, understanding of basic html language)
How to apply:
Applications must be complete or they will not be considered.
Please send your resume, cover letter and brief writing sample and dates of availability to the External Relations Intern Coordinator: UNHCR, 1775 K St., NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20006, firstname.lastname@example.org / Fax: 202-296-5660
UNHCR is grateful to all applicants for their interest in supporting and assisting refugees and displaced individuals around the world; due to office capacity UNHCR will only contact those applicants who will be interviewed.