Roving Human Resources Manager-South Sudan
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Position Title: Roving Human Resources Manager
Location: South Sudan
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: May 28, 2014
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Republic of South Sudan went through a relatively peaceful period from the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in 2005, through independence in 2011 until December 2013, when tensions between the President and former Vice President erupted into violent conflict. The security situation remains fragile and testing operational challenges abound. IRC operates in five of South Sudan’s ten states with programming in health, protection, environmental health and gender-based violence prevention and response.
The Roving HR Manager is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day HR functions are performed in accordance with IRC policies, procedures and HR best practices and to provide direct advice and guidance to Field managers/Coordinators and staff on HR policies and procedures.
Under the supervision of the Senior HR Coordinator, the Roving HR Manager will:
- Serve as the HR Compliance Specialist for human resources services within the field offices;
- In collaboration with Field HR Officers, ensure compliance with the IRC’s Global Human Resources Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Provide advice and support to Field HR teams, Field Managers/Coordinator and program managers on HR related matters, including but not limited to, recruitment, orientation, career development, performance evaluation, and separation
- Serve as a mentor and capacity building advisor for HR field staff to ensure sustainability and career growth.
- Offer overall HR support to field location whenever there is a gap.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding of South Sudan National Staff policies and ensuring compliance and consistent application.
- Provide timely advice and briefings to staff on new policy developments, ensuring correct and consistent application through training, monitoring and appropriate follow up action.
- Periodically assist managers in writing or modifying job descriptions in accordance with program needs.
- Advise on disciplinary related matters in accordance with established labor law and IRC disciplinary policies and procedures.
- In the absence of a field HR team member, support hiring managers in recruitment process as outlined in IRC Recruitment policies and procedures; provide support in interviews and ensuring proper documentation is consolidated and shared with HR Manager Juba.
- Ensure that new and current staff are fully briefed on all aspects of HR policies and Procedures by carrying out a quarterly group refresher orientation training for staff in the field locations.
- Probationary Reviews/Performance Evaluation
- Work closely with field HR teams to maintain an updated tracking sheet for completed reviews/evaluations of national staff.
- In collaboration with Field HR teams, ensure all termination documentation is completed before being forwarded to Senior HR Coordinator for review.
- In coordination with field HR teams, develop and maintain quarterly reports to ascertain the period of time it takes to finalize terminal benefits.
- Work with field HR team and Juba HR Manager in the maintenance of up to date files for all staff in the field and ensure that personal document for new and existing staff are maintained confidentially in a lockable cabinet and where possible sent to Juba.
- Share with Senior HR Coordinator a monthly report of all staff employed in the field per each field site location.
- Carry a quarterly HR audits on all record keeping and documentation of processes.
- Maintain a fortnightly contact with Senior HR Coordinator (Juba) over HR/Admin issues arising in any of the field locations.
- Policy compliance – IRC Way
- Conduct quarterly IRCWay refresher trainings.
- Oversee the planning and rolling out training of and adherence to IRC Way and MRPs in coordination with the IRC Way Ambassadors in field locations.
Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or an alternate Bachelor’s degree with a PGD in Human Resources Management
- At least 3 years continuous practice in a similar position, with at least 1 in a supervisory position
- Prior experience of staff supervision and capacity building highly desirable
- Field based HR Management experience is desired with particular emphasis to South Sudan
- Similar experience with an INGO will be an added advantage
Functional skills and knowledge:
- Remains productive when under pressure.
- Demonstrates a systematic and efficient approach to work.
- Works collaboratively with team members to achieve results.
- Relates and works well with people of different cultures, gender and backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and prepared to work additional hours
- Prepared to seek advice and guidance from HR Dept.
- Good time management skills and flexibility to continuously re-prioritize
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work consistently with other HR/Admin staff across IRC SS
- Innumeracy and organizational skills.
Other skills (e.g. I.T.):
- Excellent understanding and prior experience of using MS Office
- Prior experience of preparing/disseminating payroll
- Excellent coordination and multi-tasking skills
- Fluency in English
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: